Sep 25, 2020
Hi guys, my PC is performing below average according to every single benchmark I did and you can clearly notice it when using it.

I have 4 hunches.
  • The parts aren't getting along, and there's a bottleneck somewhere I can't find.
  • Some parts are 1/2 or even 3 tiers below the others and that's causing trouble.
  • In order to use the Ryzen 9, I had to update the motherboard BIOS, and altough AORUS tells me there shouldnt be a problem... I dont trust them in this one.
  • Below you'll find I have several softwares opened at once, which makes me think the SSD and the RAM are having a tough time keeping up.

SPECS:
- Amd Ryzen 9 3900x
-Aorus B450 Pro Wi Fi
-16gb Ram (2x hyperx fury 8gb 2666mhz ddr4 cl16 dimm)
-SSD 1TB Kingston A400
-GTX 1070 Gigabyte
-PW 850W Sentey MBP850
-5 Coolers, can't remember brand, but they are above-average, those are not from the case, they are all brand-new. (Without counting the CPU and the GPU ones)

CONTEXT:
  • I use it for streaming
  • I have triple monitor setup. (1x 1600x1900 | 1x 1920x1080 | 1x 55 4k tv)
  • I play and do MOST things on 1080p Monitor.
  • I stream on 1080p 60fps (And 60hz with vsync always off).

CONSIDERATIONS:
When gaming+streaming+browsing chrome+anything you can think of:
  • CPU never NEVER goes above 53°
  • CPU never goes above 35% usage
  • GPU never NEVER goes above 62°
  • GPU does goes up to full usage but that's common.
  • SSD Usage never does the usual bug of "going 100% all the time"
I've tried wiping and puting a new windows 10 install 3 times already, issues remain.
The PC airflow is glorious, air comes out frozen from every single cooler.

USAGE (I do kinda "stress" the PC, but I thought that with a Ryzen 9 and mid-tier parts it should handle it well? But apparently it doesnt)
I always have open:
  • OBS Studio
  • Stream deck software
  • Stream avatars
  • Soundpad
  • Webcam
  • Steam/Battlenet/Origin/Uplay
  • Discord
  • Chrome

With all of those softwares opened, you can already feel the PC crawling for dear life and there's not even a game open yet, when I open it, I have to put it on the lowest settings to make it bearable.
Having NCAM and task manager opened I do can see the 16gbs of ram take the biggest hit, apparently, but they dont even full, they are at like 60%~75%

CONCLUSIONS:
One of my parts isn't at the same level as the other ones... I guess.. Could you help me identify which one? And if you can, suggest me directly a model to replace it?

Solution
I don't have any other memory! Just the ones installed. The idea of this thread would be to understand what would be better to replace buy, I cannot afford try-error anymore. I only have budget for the correct choises or otherwise I will be stuck with a non properly working pc for a long while.
Its absolute FACT that Ryzen prefers fast, tight RAM. Also, with the amount of apps you have running at a time you may want 32gb. Monitor your RAM usage in game with Afterburner.

As I mentioned above I wouldn't trust that power supply.
Sep 25, 2020
Hey, thanks for answering. Im sorry I'm not very technical so, some poor decisions have been made with the rig. The PSU was the old one, so that one did not got upgraded.

If I go into my motherboard specifications on the gigabyte page it says:
  1. Support for DDR4 3600(O.C.) / 3466(O.C.) / 3200(O.C.)/2933/2667/2400/2133 MHz memory modules
Does the "(O.C.)" means anything about overclocking? Or can I just put a 3600 memory and it will work ok right off the bat?
----
I literally streamed everything in order to see if there was a pattern I could find. Obviously low-requirement games didn't show up much trouble, but NOT SO demanding ones did gave me huge trouble.
No issues:
  • Fall Guys
  • Among us
  • Call of duty 4

Games that shouldnt be an issue but they are:
  • Dead By daylight
  • Rainbow 6 (On a good day, it runs at 150fps off-stream????)
  • Vermintide 2

Games my PC cant handle at all for some reason:
-BF V
-MW 2019
-MW 4 Remastered

Sep 25, 2020
I want to clarify this doesn't look like a GPU issue, I know the GTX 1070 is outdated, but the issues remain off-stream and while not playing games. When I have a set of softwares opened the PC is still not able to show a smooth performance at all.

Sep 25, 2020
I don't have any other memory! Just the ones installed. The idea of this thread would be to understand what would be better to replace buy, I cannot afford try-error anymore. I only have budget for the correct choises or otherwise I will be stuck with a non properly working pc for a long while.

Sep 25, 2020
It was the only option available at the moment, it was either this one of the "tomahawk". Now there are more options available.
Motherboard is the most riksy investment perhaps though. Changing it could mean literally nothing if it was working properly on the contrary of the other parts, in which literally any change is an update.
I seem to suck at noticing models.
Would you tell me 3 models for Ryzen 9 that are -new- models, and not outdated like mine? Thanks

Sep 25, 2020
Thanks a lot! Sadly Chrome had that option already disabled. (I also kill all Chrome processes once I'm dont with it).
I've tried opening everything and the only 2 things that sort of "stress" the rig are Chrome and Obs, but even just for RAM usage, and the performance being weird and waaaaay above average can still be felt throughout normal usage of the machine.
Do you see any part in the rig that would definately be changed?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-1x/support#support-doc

This is based on G.skill ram as that is what I use, and others here would have there own opinions as well,
Which can help you better then me.
Ok based on the Qvl for your mobo most of the listings has a Q designation in the models listed.
Most of what I'm finding is D on newegg, pcpartspicker.
And Please someone correct me Q is for quad dimms or 4 Stick Kit on G.skill ram.
To run 4 sticks of 3600mhz may never happen when the memory controller is Upto 3200mhz,
Not that it can't run it but you will have to spend some time and testing to get it to do so.

To be easy on the wallet and be 100 % on you Qvl even though it's 16gb 2x8 this kit has tight timing and at these timings it is usually Samsung B-dies.
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232195?&quicklink=true

In 32gb 4x8 of 3200 on Qvl and still may take some tinkering.
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232482?&quicklink=true

Hope this helps some and as I said there are more here that Can help you better me.
Good Luck.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020
Hey thanks a lot! I didn't know about those lists posted there, nor did I knew they kind of "give assessment" on what is compatible to buy!

Perhaps you have a bit of a better understanding of it (and I dontt :( ) If I wanted to put 16 or 32 with a speed of 3600, are there any options? I seem to notice by your comment that there's a chance that is not possible?

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Hey thanks a lot! I didn't know about those lists posted there, nor did I knew they kind of "give assessment" on what is compatible to buy!

Perhaps you have a bit of a better understanding of it (and I dontt :( ) If I wanted to put 16 or 32 with a speed of 3600, are there any options? I seem to notice by your comment that there's a chance that is not possible?
You have a 3900x which will give about the same frame rates as a 3950x. This is what happens when you go AMD, I see more issues regarding AMD and RAM and a slow system every day but no one from Intel has these issues.TLDR🙈

Firstly go to the BIOS and set to optimized defaults. Then go into Windows power options and choose high performance. Then run DDU Display Driver Uninstaller and do a clean and restart and back in normal mode install the latest graphics drivers and let us see what happens.🤞🚓🏝

You have a 3900x which will give about the same frame rates as a 3950x. This is what happens when you go AMD, I see more issues regarding AMD and RAM and a slow system every day but no one from Intel has these issues.TLDR🙈

Firstly go to the BIOS and set to optimized defaults. Then go into Windows power options and choose high performance. Then run DDU Display Driver Uninstaller and do a clean and restart and back in normal mode install the latest graphics drivers and let us see what happens.🤞🚓🏝
Jeez, kid! All you do around here is start long stories about your feelings and spew incorrect statements and "fixes".

Its absolute FACT that Ryzen prefers fast, tight RAM. Also, with the amount of apps you have running at a time you may want 32gb. Monitor your RAM usage in game with Afterburner.

As I mentioned above I wouldn't trust that power supply.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Solution
Sep 25, 2020
I'm sorry guys, it was night time for me and I was sleeping!
I will more than likely in the next few weeks then buying new RAM as the one I have got seems quite stressed some times and also looking to change for a power supply.
Thanks a lot for the help!!