[SOLVED] Brand new PC randomly reboots

Feb 6, 2020
Description
I am having an issue with my newly-built gaming PC randomly rebooting. It is hard to predict when it will shut down. At first it seemed like it was happening when I launched games, but now it is happening shortly after booting up windows. When it shuts down, it almost seems like it is shorting out. In the Windows Event Log application, I can see the error code 41 which pretty much means that something bad happened. There isn't a bug code so I can't narrow it down from there.

I thought it might be because of the GPU I'm using, since it was used for crypto mining and it was a freebie from a friend. But after removing it, I am still having this issue. Many of the forums I've read suggest a bad PSU or overheating CPU. I've been monitoring the CPU temperature and it's staying in the mid 30C range consistently. And the PSU is brand new, so I have a hard time believing that it could be bad. Has anyone ever had to return a new PSU because of an issue like this?

But right now I'm running out of things to check and the problem is still occurring. All my drivers are up to date, Windows 10 is up to date, and my MoBo bios is up to date. If anyone has suggestions for things to test or possible fixes, I'd really appreciate it. I've included a list of all my hardware specs below.

Specs:
  • CPU: i7 9700K (not overclocking w/ brand new coolermaster for cooling)
  • PSU: Corsair 750W Modular Power Supply (80+ rated & brand new)
  • RAM: 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance (Also brand new)
  • MB: MSI MPG-z390 Plus (Brand New)
  • HD: Samsung Evo 970 NVMe Drive (Brand New)
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX-Vega 8Gb (Got for free from a friend mining crypto)

If you need any more information about my specs, just ask. Basically everything is brand new except the GPU.

Solution
mixing RAM is a gamble was the RAM sold in a single kit? single kits are made to work together.
which corsair 750 the CX?
Damaged new parts happen, when buying from Amazon only choose reputable sellers.
swapping parts and testing is my suggestion.

My canned random reboot Rant
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for five passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than five passes the ram is good. with the random...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
mixing RAM is a gamble was the RAM sold in a single kit? single kits are made to work together.
Damaged new parts happen, when buying from Amazon only choose reputable sellers.

Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for five passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than five passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and await reboot.
end canned rant

Reactions: aproudnoob
Solution
Feb 6, 2020

RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for five passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than five passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and await reboot.
end canned rant
The RAM is all from a single kit, it's two 16GB sticks. But I'm definitely going to try taking one out to see if that helps. And my brother has a PSU I can try out this afternoon. And if neither of those work I'll try using linux mint like you suggested. Thank you for the help...I'll post back here later today when I've tried everything

The RAM is all from a single kit, it's two 16GB sticks. But I'm definitely going to try taking one out to see if that helps. And my brother has a PSU I can try out this afternoon. And if neither of those work I'll try using linux mint like you suggested. Thank you for the help...I'll post back here later today when I've tried everything
Is your RAM model and revision/version in the QVL memory compatibility list of your motherboard?
People always do this mistake, they just buy any RAM blindly.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the Qualified Vendors List is not the end all be all of the only working modules. it is only a list of the units MSI had on hand before they released the motherboard and tested with, a long list means that broad compatibility is assured. modules made after the board release are not on they QVL, they to not maintain the lists after release. for brand new motherboard releases the QVL is suggested for carefree operation until BIOS releases iron out issues.
the QVL for that board that lists corsair modules is 9 pages long.
BIOS version 7B51v14 from last January addresses memory compatibility. what version is installed to your board?

Feb 6, 2020
Okay everyone, I managed to find the problem and I feel like an idiot. It was the PSU. It's kind of funny because that was the solution for most people that had this issue, but I didn't think it was possible since the PSU was brand new. I just exchanged the faulty one and it's been running fine! I also updated the BIOS. For anyone that's having a similar issue I highly suggest you check the PSU before taking the entire computer apart. And thank you both for helping, I appreciate it!