[SOLVED] Brand new PSU makes this strange crackling sound

Aug 30, 2020
I built a new pc a yesterday and it worked amazing. Today I saw that my 3200mhz ram are registered as 2133mhz. I changed it in BIOS and a strange quiet crackling sound appeared from my PSU power inlet.

I built a new pc a yesterday and it worked amazing. Today I saw that my 3200mhz ram are registered as 2133mhz. I changed it in BIOS and a strange quiet crackling sound appeared from my PSU power inlet.

It started when you set your RAM speed correctly or you just noticed it after you set the RAM speed?

I mean, based on what you're saying, you would put the 3200 back down to 2133 and the noise would go away. Right?

Aug 30, 2020
It started when you set your RAM speed correctly or you just noticed it after you set the RAM speed?

I mean, based on what you're saying, you would put the 3200 back down to 2133 and the noise would go away. Right?
It started agter I set the RAM speed. I was thinking that to so I switched BIOS to default settings but it didn't go away. It buzzes even then psu is turned off only the cable is connected

It started agter I set the RAM speed. I was thinking that to so I switched BIOS to default settings but it didn't go away. It buzzes even then psu is turned off only the cable is connected

Ok. So the RAM is inconsequential... or is it? ;-)

See, RAM these days uses +5VSB. The standby rail that's always on. If the PSU is making the noise even when the PC is off, there could be something on the +5VSB that is causing it.

I had a similar issue with my daughter's PSU. A USB hub she was using would make the PSU buzz and crackle whenever it was plugged into a certain port. Sometimes it's just an always on RGB (like RGB RAM, which yours isn't) that is creating interference.

Start off by unplugging all USB devices to see if the noise goes away. Then plug back in to see if the noise comes back. If you unplug everything and the noise is still there, try the RAM. I'm guessing your 16GB is a 2x 8GB kit, right? If so, try just one stick at a time to see if the noise goes away.

Aug 30, 2020
Ok. So the RAM is inconsequential... or is it? ;-)

See, RAM these days uses +5VSB. The standby rail that's always on. If the PSU is making the noise even when the PC is off, there could be something on the +5VSB that is causing it.

I had a similar issue with my daughter's PSU. A USB hub she was using would make the PSU buzz and crackle whenever it was plugged into a certain port. Sometimes it's just an always on RGB (like RGB RAM, which yours isn't) that is creating interference.

Start off by unplugging all USB devices to see if the noise goes away. Then plug back in to see if the noise comes back. If you unplug everything and the noise is still there, try the RAM. I'm guessing your 16GB is a 2x 8GB kit, right? If so, try just one stick at a time to see if the noise goes away.
Can you explain what inconsequantial RAM means ?

Aug 30, 2020
inconsequential:

1: of no significance : UNIMPORTANT
2: IRRELEVANT

You changing the speed of the RAM speed did not create the problem. Mentioning it does not contribute to the troubleshooting, therefore it is inconsequential to this problem. That's all I meant.
Oh, I understand now. And update that noise is gone, but I am scared to turn my RAM to 3200mhz again, so I don't know if I should do it.

Ok.... Now I'm confused.

First you said you turned up the speed of the RAM, then the buzzing started. Then you went back to default and the buzz was still there. Now you say the buzz is gone.

The buzz is nothing dangerous. But it would be good to find cause to the effect. And if you paid for 3200MHz RAM, you should be running at 3200MHz. You really should put the speed back up to see if the buzzing noise corresponds with the speed of the RAM.

Aug 30, 2020
Ok.... Now I'm confused.

First you said you turned up the speed of the RAM, then the buzzing started. Then you went back to default and the buzz was still there. Now you say the buzz is gone.

The buzz is nothing dangerous. But it would be good to find cause to the effect. And if you paid for 3200MHz RAM, you should be running at 3200MHz. You really should put the speed back up to see if the buzzing noise corresponds with the speed of the RAM.
I am really confused too. The buzzing started after I sped up RAM, yes. I then went back to default settings and buzzing was still there. I tried changing power cables, but they're alright. And I feel the buzzing from the backplate of PSU. Here is a link of the video.
View: https://youtu.be/2HTQDh0dgL4

As you see PSU is turned off. It doesn't go any further. Also i tried touching with a side panel screw on that backplate thing below inlet and it was resonating.