Question Brand new RTX 3080 ti with very high temps - is this normal?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 18, 2022
So I got a new computer with an MSI RTX 3080 ti and I am worried about the temperatures the GPU reaches under heavy load (i.e. Red Dead Redemption 2 on ultra settings). With a window open and a room temperature of 25 °C, the GPU reaches 84 °C with a hot spot of 89-91 °C according to GPU-Z. Is this normal or I should be worried?
Note: The GPU is with its stock cooler. Obviously but... still.

Oh, and for the people who are interested in the case I'm using - Be quiet! PURE BASE 500DX. The computer has enough space to breathe, as well.

screenshot.gif

DavidM012

Distinguished
Had an idea. You could make a side panel out of cardboard and cut a hole in it to side mount a fan for a side intake to huff directly on the gpu heatsink and intake and flip the fans to rear exhaust. It doesn't look too stylish but, function over form. And adding a front intake would then be the absolute max you could do for a budget of around $20 for two more fans and a big box for a suitable quantity of cardboard.

The nice thing about the cardboard is you could decide where precisely to position the fan for the side intake.

Sep 10, 2022
Had an idea. You could make a side panel out of cardboard and cut a hole in it to side mount a fan for a side intake to huff directly on the gpu heatsink and intake and flip the fans to rear exhaust. It doesn't look too stylish but, function over form. And adding a front intake would then be the absolute max you could do for a budget of around $20 for two more fans and a big box for a suitable quantity of cardboard.

The nice thing about the cardboard is you could decide where precisely to position the fan for the side intake.

Doesn’t look to stylish? Come on man you make me just imagining what could be the worst PC as in cosmetic wise. Lol

Also, this would be way too complicated for someone who might get confused on how to flip case fans, while he could purchase a 3080ti and ask someone to build their rig. He may as well go to proper boutique, for some upgrade and get things installed properly. And yes, we are still useful here for telling him what’s the best OP can do!

In my opinion, I believe those temps are also an overclock temperature, all I know is 3080 ti doesn’t clock that high unless it’s overclocked, even the OC version of MSI doesn’t hit 1700mhz boosted.

OP could just get a better case himself, or if not happy with the performance either fps, clock speed, or temp, return the gpu at cost of restocking fees and get a liquid cooling 3090

DavidM012

Distinguished
You're right

https://storage-asset.msi.com/datasheet/vga/global/GeForce-RTX-3080-Ti-GAMING-X-TRIO-12G.pdf

The specification data sheet does say the core clock is 1770 so a core clock of 1900 is a symptom of something.

The GPU could be defective in some way or perhaps it's been on a journey already and someone else under volted it or overclocked it and sent it back or who could know? Especially what the model variant is when enthusiastically considering purchasing a pc.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
You're right

https://storage-asset.msi.com/datasheet/vga/global/GeForce-RTX-3080-Ti-GAMING-X-TRIO-12G.pdf

The specification data sheet does say the core clock is 1770 so a core clock of 1900 is a symptom of something.

The GPU could be defective in some way or perhaps it's been on a journey already and someone else under volted it or overclocked it and sent it back or who could know? Especially what the model variant is when enthusiastically considering purchasing a pc.
It's not a defect. These cards boosting to a higher clock rate is normal. My Gaming Z trio 3080 regularly boosts to 1980MHz

Look up Nvidia GPU boost.

DavidM012

Distinguished
I looked up nvidia gpu boost which didn't immediately reveal any details of core clock mhz across all models in the range however I am persuaded from your experience that it can boost to 1900mhz+ although I don't know what the model variant is so hopefully the OP won't be confused and get right to flipping the fans for rear exhaust, perhaps adding a front intake fan at least, and attempting to modify the fan curve in spite of being not savvy because it all boils down to knowing how from experience so simply when learning don't make any large changes go in increments one step at a time until you get used to it and know what you're doing.

Sep 10, 2022
I looked up nvidia gpu boost which didn't immediately reveal any details of core clock mhz across all models in the range however I am persuaded from your experience that it can boost to 1900mhz+ although I don't know what the model variant is so hopefully the OP won't be confused and get right to flipping the fans for rear exhaust, perhaps adding a front intake fan at least, and attempting to modify the fan curve in spite of being not savvy because it all boils down to knowing how from experience so simply when learning don't make any large changes go in increments one step at a time until you get used to it and know what you're doing.

basically they have what’s known as boost algorithm to optimise the GPU to get the best possible frame rate. Ways it explained it almost like Auto OC on AMD CPU, not quiet similar but basically a form of overclock that is done by its BIOS. After all the complications, I do believe OP is running normal temp. Modern GPU would run that hot when BOOOOOOSTING. Wanna get cooler? Aggressive fans.

OP fans peaking at 85% explains the situation a lot. My GPU fans gone 100% as soon as Hotspot temp hit 82’C and I set it that way, sometimes I set it to 100% at 85’C or 90’C depends on the level of noise I’d like to hear 😂

Sep 10, 2022
It's not a defect. These cards boosting to a higher clock rate is normal. My Gaming Z trio 3080 regularly boosts to 1980MHz

Look up Nvidia GPU boost.

I read this thing is form of feature given by NVIDIA to maximised FPS in game, many on google discussing how to turn it off but not sure and not keen to read further too much headache for me lol.

Afterall, OP should just set gpu fans to 100% as soon as it touch 85’C, problem solve

DavidM012

Distinguished
But aggressive fans are also noisier or quiet aggressive ones are more expensive so he can remediate the situation a bit by adjusting the current configuration without spending any money. He could even use one of the top fans as a front intake instead of buying a new one. Then adjusting the fan curve is another slight improvement and that should modestly improve the temps.

Sep 10, 2022
But aggressive fans are also noisier or quiet aggressive ones are more expensive so he can remediate the situation a bit by adjusting the current configuration without spending any money. He could even use one of the top fans as a front intake instead of buying a new one. Then adjusting the fan curve is another slight improvement and that should modestly improve the temps.

what op called issue persists when the side panel was opened, so adjusting fans position will provide minimal change, given the fact that, well, that case was OPENED when issue persists lol.

of course it will somehow make improvement but minimum, will be no where near what most people here expect. Remember, he runs this with side panel already opened, and the temperatures given was the result, while the side panel was already opened.

DavidM012

Distinguished
No I checked that the window was opened but more ventilation in the environment didn't do much so I was initially thinking that really a side intake fan with the fan vortex huffing directly on the gpu itself might do the most but since it's not modifiable the only (semi) immediately available options are to flip the fans, adjust the configuration of one top fan to a front intake and tweak the fan curve otherwise, it will cost money to purchase other optional extras or modify the side panel for a customizebly postional side intake fan. Such as making a side panel out of cardboard. Because otherwise there's nowhere to mount a side intake fan to huff more on the gpu.