Brand new Seagate 4T - is this normal?

klaus2

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Are these values normal? Thanks a lot for any reply.

hdisk2.png

hdisk.png

Solution
klaus2, if you just got it, I presume you are still in the return window with Amazon; so use if this weekend and see how it behaves and based on that we will see what would be the next best step. Just in case, here is the support link for the HDD.

klaus2

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Seatools says drive is healthy but doesn't measure speed. I notice sometimes it takes 4 to 8 seconds to open a very small text file, when first browsing a directory. Then (after directory is open) lag disappears. (I used it as storage)

Is that Smart Read Rate normal for a drive that has only 80 hours?

klaus2

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Thanks seagate_surfer. It's the very low values for the random not sequential read and write test that worries me. But if you say it's fine, for me it's ok, as it's used as storage. What I really want is for it not to fail! That's why I bought that model, after checking Backblaze's reports. :)

klaus2

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
@seagate_surger Now I am starting to get worried. Today the disk didn't boot, and kept doing a mechanical repetitive noise. Then I changed SATA port and it worked. I just hope it was due to not enough power on that port?! What should I do next? Return it to Amazon?