Question Brand new WD NVME SSD with used hours in Crystal Disk Info

Jul 22, 2024
I bought a WD Green NVME SSD off a seller on ebay who claimed it was brand new but the box was opened.
It arrived less than 45 minutes bfore this message was posted.
I unpacked it immediately it arrived put it in a new enclosure and formatted it.
I then ran Crystal Disk Info straight after the format had completed and it came up saying that the disk had had 5 power ups and 18 hours use.

Seller says he bought it from a reputable online seller and it's not been used...
The packet the drive came in has lots of sticky residue all over the front and you can see it forms the shape of a label that has obviously been removed and covered nearly the whole front of the box.
Drive also runs hotter at 47 degrees idling in an enclosure with a heat sink and silicon pads most of my other drives in similar enclosures are in the mid 30s - I suspect it's a refurbed or customer return drive
Is it normal for a brand new drive to have usage stats?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Yes. Factory QA.

I bought a WD Green NVME SSD off a seller on ebay
Used items are sold "as is" and it been already used (including open box), is normal. Also, there is 0 warranty when buying hardware from another private party.

If you want brand new drive, with sealed retail box and warranty, buy it from reputable store. Do not buy it from 2nd hand market.

WD Green SN350 NVMe SSD starts from 60 bucks in official stores,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-drive/#m=38&t=0&sort=price&f=122080&D=1

You got it from Ebay, paying 20-30 bucks? :unsure:

Reactions: Arthur_
Jul 22, 2024
Yes. Factory QA.

Used items are sold "as is" and it been already used (including open box), is normal. Also, there is 0 warranty when buying hardware from another private party.

If you want brand new drive, with sealed retail box and warranty, buy it from reputable store. Do not buy it from 2nd hand market.

WD Green SN350 NVMe SSD starts from 60 bucks in official stores,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-drive/#m=38&t=0&sort=price&f=122080&D=1

You got it from Ebay, paying 20-30 bucks? :unsure:
Thanks, I am fully aware of the risks of buying from Ebay but when an item is listed as new I expect it to be new especially from a seller who is giving the impression that they are an IT dealer.
I also have protection under Ebay's policy so I've now returned the item for a full refund.
The question I was asking was regarding possible usage hours and number of power ups on a new item - I somehow think that if WD spent 18 hours testing every single SSD they make it would bite into their profit margins quite considerably

Thanks, I am fully aware of the risks of buying from Ebay but when an item is listed as new I expect it to be new especially from a seller who is giving the impression that they are an IT dealer.
I also have protection under Ebay's policy so I've now returned the item for a full refund.
The question I was asking was regarding possible usage hours and number of power ups on a new item - I somehow think that if WD spent 18 hours testing every single SSD they make it would bite into their profit margins quite considerably
Number of power ups is misleading because of possible power saving features that shut it down at set intervals. 2 or3 probably during factory testing. I doubt they tested it for 18 hours though, it takes less than a minute. What is more important and you should pay more attention to is number of writes written to it, just full format makes number of writes little more than disk's capacity so take that into account.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I am fully aware of the risks of buying from Ebay but when an item is listed as new I expect it to be new especially from a seller who is giving the impression that they are an IT dealer.
On 2nd hand market, people lie. And quite often. Since in the end of the day, idea is to sell their junk to someone else, and not to be honest/reputable. All they want, is your money.

Also, what kind of business it would be, when private party buys drives from manufacturers, at retail price, and sells them along with markup? It would end up being more expensive than you buying the drive directly from manufacturer. Unless that "IT dealer" buys refurbished drives in bulk at very cheap price per drive, where to add his own markup on top of it. And calling them "new" makes the drives easier to sell.

js2

Jul 16, 2024
I bought a WD Green NVME SSD off a seller on ebay who claimed it was brand new but the box was opened.
It arrived less than 45 minutes bfore this message was posted.
I unpacked it immediately it arrived put it in a new enclosure and formatted it.
I then ran Crystal Disk Info straight after the format had completed and it came up saying that the disk had had 5 power ups and 18 hours use.

Seller says he bought it from a reputable online seller and it's not been used...
The packet the drive came in has lots of sticky residue all over the front and you can see it forms the shape of a label that has obviously been removed and covered nearly the whole front of the box.
Drive also runs hotter at 47 degrees idling in an enclosure with a heat sink and silicon pads most of my other drives in similar enclosures are in the mid 30s - I suspect it's a refurbed or customer return drive
If in doubt, return.

But I suspect he's just flipped it, so not got much of a clue.

Usually, on point sellers will have a crystaldiskinfo screenshot or similar to show the stats of a drive, unless it's sealed and boxed.

WD SSDs do tend to run a bit hot hence I usually get a copper plate to dissipate heat. Unless board comes with one.

Jul 23, 2024
It’s normal for new SSDs to show some power-on hours due to factory testing, but 18 hours is quite high. Combined with opened packaging and higher temperatures, it sounds like this drive might have been used before. Since you bought it as new from eBay, returning it was the right call.