Brand New White Rig Turning On / Sounding Beautifully - But No Picture!

Julio_17

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016
I just finished assembling a version of Bitwit's White PC for a client:
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/yKTzvV

It came out beautifully. I was so proud of this build. He had also gotten a newer 1440p monitor so the picture was going to look great! I turn on the build and the white LED lights from the fans come on, and the computer powers on and everything is smooth as butter, sounds smooth, the startup has a smoothness to it, the fans are silent... except there is no picture!

Possible issues:
1) I initially thought it was the way I connected the cables from the power supply to the motherboard. It's a fully modular power supply, and I connect the ATX-P4 cable to where it was labeled CPU1 on the power supply, and thought, maybe that should have went where it said VGA instead. But if it was an incorrect installation of the power supply, why would it be turning on at all. I then tried switching the cables to where it plugged in on the power supply, switched VGA and CPU1 then the rig would not turn on at all. So I don't think it has anything to do with the power supply.
2) I then thought, and leaving the build for the night this is what I swore what the problem was, a faulty monitor or faulty hdmi cable. It is an expensive, newer type of monitor that can output to 1440p. The fact that the computer was powering on, but not getting any sort of video signal at all, made me very skeptical that it had anything to do with the rig, as it was the picture. After all, we didn't have enough monitor to test it, or a different HDMI device to plug into the monitor. So I left the evening feeling very strongly it was the monitor.
3) Faulty motherboard. What is making me reluctant to believe it is a faulty or damaged motherboard is the fact that it is powering on, and not making any sounds at all. The computer powers on like everything is fine. I did however get a very tiny amount of thermal paste unto the motherboard which I wiped out with a qtip (but the thermal paste was a silver compound). I have had motherboard issues with other rigs in the past, and a video will technically post. But I'm leaving open the possibility that some component of the motherboard is faulty or got damaged during assembly. I did have moderate difficulty getting the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO unto the motherboard, and asked the client to hold it for me at several points in the build. Perhaps I was too rough with it?
4) Faulty processor, motherboard incompatibility, using white cable extensions, incompatible parts - if it were a faulty processor, it would not come on altogether, same with motherboard incompatibility. And PC Parts Picker isn't displaying any issues on the rig. And I'm skeptical to think it is because of the white cable extensions somehow, because the rig is turning on, without any beeps, weird sounds, or anything wrong at all. In fact, it sounds very smooth.

I am leaning very heavily to believing it is monitor (since it is a newer type, and was unable to test with a different monitor or other device and no picture was posting whatsoever (usually the logo will display even not connected to anything, on this the only sort of picture it got was a text in the center saying, "No picture detected on HDMI1/Display Port" and to a lesser degree, faulty motherboard.

Any help/insight greatly appreciate, thank you!

20161014_011158.jpg

<removed> beautiful... Am so proud of it. And am so frustrated I could not even see a picture before I ended the evening.

20161013_205457.jpg

Parts before assembly. Hope this helps!

so from your build specs the only cables you should have plugged into the PSU are

MB
CPU1
VGA1
SATA
and maybe PATA for your fans if they aren't plugged into the motherboard

MB is a 24 pin that will plug in on the right hand side of the motherboard
CPU1 is an 8 pin with most likely a 4+4 on one end and will plug into the motherboard at the top left cable might be labeled as ESP
VGA1 should be a 8 pin to 6+2 or 8 pin to 8 pin, your video card needs a 8 pin power cable to work. Notice if your look at the PSU that 2 pins are hooked together for the VGA cable, make sure you don't use the cpu cables.
SATA goes to your SSD's and maybe a DVD drive if you have one
PATA goes to fans unless your plugged then into your motherboard.

Also make sure your monitor cable is plugged into the video card and not the motherboard.

make sure the monitor is set to the right signal input as well. although it should auto detect the input

Julio_17

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016

To my best recollection, CPU1/VGA1/SATA/PATA/MB ports are all correctly traversing power supply to proper ports on the motherboard.

I did not get a chance to inspect each individual cable, to make sure it is the appropriate one.

1) Could it possibly be the white extenders?

To fit with the white theme, the client bought extensions that plug into the motherboard, and video card. I didn't think, at the time, to power on the unit without the white extensions.

But if it was the extensions, wouldn't it be not powering on at all?

Julio_17

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016
I did use an 8 pin for cpu power. If it had anything to do with the power supply, wouldn't it be having issues powering on and staying on altogether as opposed to powering every component, just not giving video?