[SOLVED] Brand spankin' new HDD won't create partition

WIEZZY

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
I just built my dad a new computer (Ryzen 5800x / B550 Aorus Pro AC) and it all works except the new HDD (Seagate 16TB Exos X16 7200RPM 512e/4kn ST16000NM001G) holds up the startup process and won't accept a partition.

I've tried 2 methods to partition and get the following error messages:
Windows Setup: "We couldn't create a new partition. [Error: 0x8007045d]"
DOS - Create Partition Primary: "DiskPart has encountered an error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

Anyone have any ideas of what's going on or how I can make this thing usable? Thanks.

RealBeast

Titan
So you can either run Fix All (fast or long) under basic tests or RMA it. Fix all long would take over half a day. If it fails the fix then your only option is to RMA. My personal policy is to RMA any drive I get and RMA if they have any initial issues.

HERE is detail on exactly what each test means.

WIEZZY

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
So you can either run Fix All (fast or long) under basic tests or RMA it. Fix all long would take over half a day. If it fails the fix then your only option is to RMA. My personal policy is to RMA any drive I get and RMA if they have any initial issues.

HERE is detail on exactly what each test means.

Thanks for the advice/suggestions. I share your policy of RMAing anything that has any initial problems, so I'll do that I guess. Kind of annoying tho...
...on a semi-related note, I ran the short and long tests on an old working HDD (I can access the files) and it also failed both tests. There's no option to repair it like there was for the 16TB drive, and idk what repairing it would do anyway since it seems to be functional as far as normal use goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: RealBeast