[SOLVED] Breadboarded computer turns back on after being jumpstarted?

renardchaton

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
*Build Specs

So this is the weirdest issue I've had in building a PC...
I got a new MB, RAM, CPU, even an aftermarket cooler. Put it together and gave it a jumpstart with a screwdriver. Started up with pretty colors and all. But no output - my CPU has no APU. Shut everything off and put my GPU in, plugged in the PCI-e power cables and all.
I jumpstart the mobo, but it doesn't turn on. My first thought was that I messed up the power cables. So I check them, and everything looks right. Only other difference is that I moved an RGB cable (for my aftermarket CPU cooler) to another RGB socket on my motherboard. So I moved it back. Removed GPU.

I jumpstart it again and it turns on. I breath a sigh of relief and decide maybe I should just pack up for the day... But it wouldn't turn off. Eventually, I guess I realized my screwdriver is just... weird or something and I have to angle it in a certain way to get it to turn off. So I do, and it shuts off, and then... starts again. After like, 2 seconds. At this point I'm super confused.

My only thought is that, by jumpstarting the mobo I somehow shorted it, causing some sort of endless flow between the power switch pins...?

This constant, nearly instant restart only stopped when I shut off the PSU with its switch.
I do have a 15 day return from the store I got it from; I've a week to swap it out. My aftermarket cooler was hell to install, but I'm thinking it may be necessary at this point.

Any input is appreciated.

Solution
I always remove the front panel from my case and plug the power button into the MB so I can turn it off and on when testing.
You might want to try that.

And you need to connect the mouse, keyboard and monitor so you can get into the BIOS.
Check that ALL power cables are connected to motherboard(dont forget the 6 pin in the top left corner) and GPU. Install only a single stick of RAM in the correct slot. Disconnect any RGB cables from motherboard. Try to power on. Also, you should try reseating the CPU into the socket.

renardchaton

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
Check that ALL power cables are connected to motherboard(dont forget the 6 pin in the top left corner) and GPU. Install only a single stick of RAM in the correct slot. Disconnect any RGB cables from motherboard. Try to power on. Also, you should try reseating the CPU into the socket.

Everything was connected, that I know for sure. I'm not sure if anything would work if the CPU was not seated correctly...? (the RAM has RGB as do the aftermarket fan; they both got power and were active). Will definitely try it without rgb plugged in, and try the RAM 1 by 1. Not sure if this should cause the problem that I'm asking about, though?

I will try it with the gpu again perhaps, to see if I can get an output.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I always remove the front panel from my case and plug the power button into the MB so I can turn it off and on when testing.

And you need to connect the mouse, keyboard and monitor so you can get into the BIOS.

Last edited:
Solution

renardchaton

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

And you want need to connect the mouse, keyboard and monitor so you can get into the BIOS.

Yup, I have my old PC case laying around so I'm going to go ahead and hook up the cables to that old dinky little case. But if the issue happens when jumpstarting, wouldn't it mean that there's an issue regardless of whether it starts fine with the case connectors?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Possibly but that's why I said to connect the keyboard, mouse and monitor.
That way you can see if it will let you get into the BIOS or not.

If you can't get into the BIOS (or you don't get it to boot at all) then I would clear the CMOS like this:
Unplug the PC (PSU).

Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.

Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (JBAT1) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
See page 37 in your manual for JBAT1 jumper location:
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C02v1.3.pdf

Plug the PC back in.

Press the Power Button to turn the PC on.

Repeatedly tap the DEL key

A screen may come up telling you to press the F1 key, if so do that.
Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is on the EXIT tab)

Save and exit the BIOS.

Tap the DEL key again to enter the BIOS and change any settings you want changed then save and exit again.

renardchaton

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
Possibly but that's why I said to connect the keyboard, mouse and monitor.
That way you can see if it will let you get into the BIOS or not.

If you can't get into the BIOS (or you don't get it to boot at all) then I would clear the CMOS like this:
Unplug the PC (PSU).

Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.

Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (JBAT1) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
See page 37 in your manual for JBAT1 jumper location:
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C02v1.3.pdf

Plug the PC back in.

Press the Power Button to turn the PC on.

Repeatedly tap the DEL key

A screen may come up telling you to press the F1 key, if so do that.
Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is on the EXIT tab)

Save and exit the BIOS.

Tap the DEL key again to enter the BIOS and change any settings you want changed then save and exit again.

Fair enough. Thanks for the thorough reply. I'll try it after work tomorrow and get an update posted. Much appreciated.

Edit: Also, I don't think I had a jumper cap included with my mobo (I will double check, though). Could I do the screwdriver method to do this?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Fair enough. Thanks for the thorough reply. I'll try it after work tomorrow and get an update posted. Much appreciated.

Edit: Also, I don't think I had a jumper cap included with my mobo (I will double check, though). Could I do the screwdriver method to do this?
Yes, use a flat headed screwdriver to short the JBAT1 pins for at least 15 seconds as stated in my last post.

renardchaton

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
Alrighty... I think I'm actually done here. It posted just fine. Everything looked normal. CPU cooling normally and no weird zombie startup whenever I shut down with the switch. I did not bother jumpstarting it today... I have a feeling I just did a terrible job jumpstarting it, and my screwdriver is, admittedly, a bit wonky. It looks ready to take my SSD and have a windows reinstall on Saturday... Only "bad" thing was that the mobo by default undervolts the RAM quite a bit. Enabling XMP allowed it to "overclock" a tiny bit so that it was about 200 MHz under its marketed frequency. I'm happy with that. All seems stable so far.

I will not be building until Saturday or Sunday... Unless maybe there are any serious concerns from any readers out there. But right now, I am no longer worried. I am, however, very aware of how easily spooked I am. 😔

Reactions: DMAN999
Dec 12, 2019
Alrighty... I think I'm actually done here. It posted just fine. Everything looked normal. CPU cooling normally and no weird zombie startup whenever I shut down with the switch. I did not bother jumpstarting it today... I have a feeling I just did a terrible job jumpstarting it, and my screwdriver is, admittedly, a bit wonky. It looks ready to take my SSD and have a windows reinstall on Saturday... Only "bad" thing was that the mobo by default undervolts the RAM quite a bit. Enabling XMP allowed it to "overclock" a tiny bit so that it was about 200 MHz under its marketed frequency. I'm happy with that. All seems stable so far.

I will not be building until Saturday or Sunday... Unless maybe there are any serious concerns from any readers out there. But right now, I am no longer worried. I am, however, very aware of how easily spooked I am. 😔
Did you clear the CMOS to get it to work or was it something else?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador

Glad to hear it.
Please update us when you get it all assembled.

renardchaton

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
Update: It's all up and running now. So far so good. The onboard audio apparently suuuuuuuucks. It sounds fine, but the mic has to be boosted super hard. I'm already pretty quiet so this isn't new for me, but I'm shocked at how low the levels come out to be. My voice at full volume barely even show any length on the meter...

The more annoying thing is good old Windows. I went ahead and uninstalled all my old hardware drivers, Intel and all (sorry Intel!). Windows went ahead and updated for the new AMD chipset drivers as soon as it could. However, since my MB and chip are different, Windows doesn't want to activate. Super annoying but I know that a long chat on customer service will eventually get it sorted. After they waste my time for like an hour, probably... :rolleyes:

Reactions: DMAN999