break nvidia mirror

Kletos

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
I saw the answer to this once before but can't find it again. I need to break an nVidia mirror to reclaim the drive space. I think the useful answer was to shut down the computer, disconnect the power from the mirrored drive, then reboot the computer and F10 to enter the nVidia utility to delete the mirror. Is that right? My problem: since the mirror is the system drive, when I reboot the computer without the mirror but with two fully functioning identical system drives, will the computer get confused about which drive to boot from? Can I reformat the second drive in the box? Or should I remove the drive and reformat it externally? Or does it matter? (Running multiple OSs with an ASUS M2N32 WS Pro board and Athlon dual core CPU)

Nikolay Savov

Distinguished
Hi
Yes this is correct action plan !
- power off
- disconnect one of the HDD - any of two
- power on
- break the raid config - you wil see Degraded state on the removed drive
- save and exit storage config
- boot OS
You will boot OS normally - confirm you data is OK
Now you can power off to connect removed drive.

You can boot normally from the both drives - since they are in MIRROR they are equal so.
Pick one to boot from and when you have OS loaded just use Disk Managment to delete the second one - you have to check wich one is "leftover - raid member" - and recreate the drive as data storage.
BTW - if you try to "kill" the HDD that you have jst boot the OS you will fail so ...... or just look in the Diska Managment - the one that holds the current OS boot is marked as (System )
That`s it :)
Good luck