Breaking Down Origin PC's Scratch-Built Millenium PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well yea but they have like a $1k-1.5k markup - its absurd. Taking advantage of the people that don't know any better i guess.

But you have to remember the costs they have to cover other than the price of the components....shipping materials, designing of the case, customer service representatives' paychecks, building mortgage, office materials such as computers, furniture, etc. There's hundreds of things where a big chunk of the $1,000 over the price of the components goes to. So pricing wise, it is a fair price for those who wish to not build a pc themselves.

I understand that, i guess this products focus group isn't on people that enjoy system building like me :) I guess if you are terrified of building your own, the $1000 extra doesn't look so bad?

kardinin

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014
Plus, you pay for their expertise. Sure you can build a computer. Most people can't and are--usually w/ good reason--antsy about plugging pricey electronics around in a black box. $1000 for someone to pick hardware, source, assemble (and to do it well), overclock, then pack and ship properly... not bad. You certainly can end up paying more for less technical things around your house...

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Is it possilbe to get just the case(in any color)?

Origin did sell it as a standalone case briefly, an anniversary I believe. It's not in their plans to do it again though, as far as I'm aware.

But you should go bug them on about it on Twitter or something. :) Never hurts to ask!

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
First of all on total amount of hardware cost you counted, the profit is always there, unless someone here believes that origin by buying 100-1000 GTX nvidia cards will get the same price as you on a local retail or online store.
So if the hardware as retail prices sums up to 2-2.5 well i bet you my good pc that it costs them about 1k if they bought 1000 each. Could be less i have no idea of the policies from nvidia etc about 1k pieces.

This is too spicy, I would expect a drop on the prices if enough people buy it, hoping that they want to broaden their customer pool

Yes, it's pricey, but this is a nice high-end system and Origin is in the business to make money. Sure, most of us have the knowledge of building our own systems, but for those who aren't, or are just too scared to do so, this a great alternative for them if they can afford it. Personally, if I didn't know how to build my own, I'd pay someone that I knew to do it for me, unless he wants to do it for free. :)

I went to PCPARTPICKER and put the following system together. NOTE: I had to substitute for the case and cooler, as they're not available on PCPARTPICKER. Also, excluding the t-shirt, USB recovery drive and lighting, I think most of the so-called accessories are basically left overs that come from the motherboard and PSU.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Tc7tRB
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Tc7tRB/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.73 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($296.37 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($201.13 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($419.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($92.63 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($526.30 @ Directron)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($526.30 @ Directron)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($56.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.75 @ OutletPC)

Total: $2987.06

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-20 14:29 EST-0500

NOTE: If you do your homework, you can possibly find much better prices around the web. These are what PCPARTPICKER automatically selected as the lowest prices for me at the time of this posting.

Not sure what's so special about Origins choice of memory. You can find much better and less expensive memory than that!

I simply chose the cooler as it was about the most expensive cooler to choose from. Just trying to get the price near what Origin is asking for their build.

I suppose I could have chosen a much more expensive case and got the cost of this build near the price of what Origin is asking for theirs, but selected this case for it's included lighting. Just wanted to select a case with similar features.

Yes, you can save if you build it yourself. You also get to decide on each component that goes into your system along with the satisfaction of having built it yourself. Still, high-end system builds are going to put a hurting on our precious wallets.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
if i was going to make a dual gpu gaming system right now i would go the r9 295 for 750.

granted i would never do an sli or crossfire system just due to personal choice. if i am going to have to turn the second gpu off to play games on a regular basis why get it in the first place?

rayden54

Honorable
May 14, 2013
So what's 1 year parts, 45 days shipping, and lifetime labor worth? Cost me almost $200 and 5 months to fix my build. Local technician scammed me out of $70 and the rest went into mailing stuff back for RMA.

If I'd been one of the more "techy" people with a box of spare parts around I could've saved most of it. Most people won't AND they'll end up having to deal with the same type of local repair shops as me.

Upside down.

So basically they design a system from SCRATCH and the main difference is the LED wording that everybody can see through the window is UPSIDE DOWN?

(I get they made several other changes but sitting back and looking at it I just see the NEEDLESS redesign that inverts the motherboard)

Saehon

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
so, you can build this for $3000 - but! at Origin, you get a $1000 'extra large' t-shirt with! think a bout that! :-D

The problem with PC builders is that they are intermidiaries. By definition, you will overpay for it. They have to pay their workers and still make a profit. That overpayment is huge, but even in your average store they charge extra for building the PC.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Liking everything except the Blu-Ray. Personally, I don't bother with physical discs anymore and especially not Blu-Ray's with my PC. If something has a physical disc? Ripped and ISO'd to a file, then saved on a USB Flash drive and the disc is tossed.
Everything else in the computer seems like "Mandatory for the gaming-class user!"

As someone else said however, this is an EXPENSIVE machine. This is for the people with 50K+ in income per year.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Again... nVidia and Intel sponsored...
People that wants to dislike this comment do that... But you can't hide the fact that Intel and nVidia DOES pay much more than AMD in advertisements, which misleads people thinking that Intel CPUs and nVidia GPUs are superior to other companies...
I'll be glad to see some AMD builds in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.