Bricked Dlink router modem Dsl g225 u1

talcsa2

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
Hello everyone,
I bought new Dlink Router modem yesterday (Dlink Dsl g225 u1) and i tried to update firmware via wireless connection and it failed. I think the device got bricked because only the power light is on and its blinking green the router wont recognise LAN port if plugged them. tried to factory reset via the back button and the power light went steady red and the device recognised LAN1 (my PC). I tried to get in to the web interference but couldn't find the IP getaway adress. dose anyone know to fix this problem?
Tnx

talcsa2

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014

well... I connected the router to my computer and it wont provide any default getaway IP, It doesn't show and pop up window or error. When i get in the default router IP it says that it couldn't find that address.

Ralston18

Titan
Who manages the router?

The router's default IP may have been changed.

Which means that normally you would need help from the router's administrator.

But overall moot because you just bought the router...

That said, since it appears that the firmware update may have failed, you might try another factory reset and hope for the best.

Look in the router's User Guide/Manual for the applicable factory reset procedure. Follow the instructions precisely.

This is one of those there is no simple answer. Most modern routers have a failed firmware recovery mode. Problem is you must follow very specific instructions and they can be different between routers.

In general the procedure you see most routers is a some variation of the following.

set very particular IP address on your PC.
TFTP is then used to transfer the image to the router. Some routers you reboot the device and you have a short period of time to use a TFTP PUT command. Others you must setup a TFTP server with the file set to a very specific name.

It tends to be tricky even when you have a exact procedure.

I would search to see if you can find a process for your router. Forums like dd-wrt have lots of discussions on this topic. Your router even though it has DSL and does not support dd-wrt likely has a similar recovery procedure. It does not hurt to try it just will not work if you for example set the ip to the wrong IP.

Now some of the guys on the dd-wrt forum are a little crazy. They do things like solder console cables into the motherboard of the router to recover some models. If I had a router that was the only method to recovery it I would just toss it and buy a new one.

talcsa2

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014

I checked thier site, tried to ping my router's IP address and no failures, but couldn't understand how to tftp my router.