Bricked my Netgear WNR2000 V3 router when attempting to flash dd-wrt

Fallonite

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Hello,

I wanted to flash dd-wrt onto my router. I followed the instructions on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hVs_cTIDsI

Anyway, I came into issues.

Issue 1: I could not set a static IP on my network. I used the exact numbers he put in and I could not get the network to work. I just gave up and reverted back to a Dynamic IP.

Issue 2: I couldn't get TFTP 2 to work either. Again, I used the same information in the video (Although the file path was different obviously) and it did not work. After not doing anything for about 10 seconds it said it could not connect to server.

At this point I just attempted to downgrade the firmware in the routers web utility rather than using TFTP 2. I successfully managed to downgrade the firmware to an earlier version to prepare for dd-wrt, but when I attempted to flash the preliminary dd-wrt file, it hit 100% progress and then said the site was no longer reachable. I waited a few minutes to see if it was rebooting but after 10 minutes and a few refreshes the error was still there. I then saw that the only lights on were the amber "I" light and the green port light (in my case 1). I turned the router off and on again and after 5 seconds or so the power light went off again.

I tried doing a 30/30/30 reset, but it doesn't affect the router in the slightest. I can still get it into TFTP mode but as I said my TFTP2 client didn't work.

Final Note: I tried the TFTP2 client on two computers and both failed.

Thanks in advance!

Memhorder

Distinguished
have you tried to ping the router to see if it is Bricked? Open your command prompt and type "ping 192.168.1.1" see if you get a response. If not than you may have to look into a new router.

if not then try others like 192.168.0.1

Fallonite

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

I could not get a response from either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.

Is there any way to do a TFTP transfer? I can still get the router into TFTP mode, I just can't get my TFTP2 client to find the router's server.

The exact message from TFTP 2 is "Unable to get responses from the server"

Fallonite

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

I managed to set a static IP. It turns out that my computer didn't like the 192.168.1.1 DNS server, so I put in Google's DNS server (8.8.8.8) instead and I was able to get tftp to work and restore my stock firmware.

However, I am curious as to why my router didn't accept dd-wrt. I've now attempted multiple times to install it using the methods on the wiki, and after I get it to the stock frimware version needed, I attempt to flash dd-wrt factory-NA file and it bricks the router. The Power Light turns solid amber, the "I" light turns amber and blinks, and the LAN port light blinks green, and then everything abruptly turns off. It then turns on and the process repeats. Do you know what I'm missing?

Memhorder

Distinguished
Glad you got the original firmware on there. Looking at the Router Data base says wnr2000 version 2 & 3. Do you have that? or is yours version 1 (very important)

Also the 30/30/30 wipe has to be done before and after the flash.

Just a side note. That router is pretty old. You know what I did? I went to the local thrift store and found a Netgear WNDR3400 for like 8 bucks and flashed it to DD-WRT. Point being you can pick up older routers for dirt cheap and practice :wahoo:

Assuming you have version 2 or 3 You have to flash the WNR2000 v2 Firmware - Webflash image for first installation. Then you 30/30/30 Ram wipe. Then Flash the the final version in which there's 4 different versions

Fallonite

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

I have Version 3.

And I'm actually about to get a router from my grandmother because they got a new one and they're sending me the old one :)

So for my v3 router your saying I have to flash the v3 dd-wrt firmware, 30/30/30, then flash the final dd-wrt?