Question Bricked RAM

CrunchyyNut

Honorable
Jul 15, 2016
Hi everyone,

Short disclaimer: I am also running a custom full liquid cooling loop, using liquid metal on my gpu and cpu, and have delidded my cpu. The liquid metal was applied in isolation to other components and was pretty closely monitored for overflows/leaks which did not seem to have occurred as I was pulling these parts apart regular due to fault finding.

After rebuilding my pc (where the only differing components to my previous system was a new gpu, case and psu) I have turned it on and heard and audible pop and my motherboards boot led is indicating that there is a RAM issue. The pc did not switch off after this and did not clear the post. I am however able to post the system if I only attempt to boot with 1 stick of RAM. Upon further inspection all the sticks besides the one that resides DIMM slot 1 have been bricked and will no longer function if I to use any of the 3 I boot I get the same RAM led on the motherboard.

I have also tried to post with another power supply and different kit of RAM which was taken from another working computer. This yielded the exact same issue on this new RAM kit without the pop (only the stick in DIMM slot 1 works), which makes me believe that the capacitor that had blown occurred on the motherboard (I don't believe it was a diode as there was no smell after the fact). Before this second post I inspected all of my components to find black marks, electrical short marks, etc. Which I found no obvious issues.

Now a few months later, I have sent in both my power supply and motherboard to be RMA'd. Both have come been deemed to fully functional, with no issues. So I am at a loss.

Any help would be appreciated.

Part list:
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Cpu: Intel i9 9900ks
Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix z390e
Gpu: EVGA FTW3 3080ti
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z (Kit 1) | G.Skill Ripjaw V (Kit 2)
PSU: Corsair HX1200

Hi everyone,

Short disclaimer: I am also running a custom full liquid cooling loop, using liquid metal on my gpu and cpu, and have delidded my cpu. The liquid metal was applied in isolation to other components and was pretty closely monitored for overflows/leaks which did not seem to have occurred as I was pulling these parts apart regular due to fault finding.

After rebuilding my pc (where the only differing components to my previous system was a new gpu, case and psu) I have turned it on and heard and audible pop and my motherboards boot led is indicating that there is a RAM issue. The pc did not switch off after this and did not clear the post. I am however able to post the system if I only attempt to boot with 1 stick of RAM. Upon further inspection all the sticks besides the one that resides DIMM slot 1 have been bricked and will no longer function if I to use any of the 3 I boot I get the same RAM led on the motherboard.

I have also tried to post with another power supply and different kit of RAM which was taken from another working computer. This yielded the exact same issue on this new RAM kit without the pop (only the stick in DIMM slot 1 works), which makes me believe that the capacitor that had blown occurred on the motherboard (I don't believe it was a diode as there was no smell after the fact). Before this second post I inspected all of my components to find black marks, electrical short marks, etc. Which I found no obvious issues.

Now a few months later, I have sent in both my power supply and motherboard to be RMA'd. Both have come been deemed to fully functional, with no issues. So I am at a loss.

Any help would be appreciated.

Part list:
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Cpu: Intel i9 9900ks
Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix z390e
Gpu: EVGA FTW3 3080ti
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z (Kit 1) | G.Skill Ripjaw V (Kit 2)
PSU: Corsair HX1200
Memory controller (IMC= Internal Memory Controller) is in the CPU and you have delided it. I suspect spomthing went wrong there.

CrunchyyNut

Honorable
Jul 15, 2016
Memory controller (IMC= Internal Memory Controller) is in the CPU and you have delided it. I suspect spomthing went wrong there.

Thanks for the suggestion CountMike.

I was able to find someone selling a 9600kf, with a z390 board and some ram. I have been able to successfully post with my delidded 9900ks inside the system with multiple sticks of RAM without frying them. So that's nice I guess.

Another issue I have run into now is that the computer was not able to post with my 3080ti hooked up with 9600kf. So it may have been caught up in whatever went wrong.

Edit: removed double quote