Question Bridge connections to hotspots will appear like spoofing ?

merlysys

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Lenovo laptop wifi/ethernet and TL-WR941ND Wireless N Router (in bridge mode)

I connect my laptop to access hotspots when the owner gives me the passphrase. When the hotspot signal is weak I turn off the WiFi and instead connect via ethernet port to the TL-WR941ND router in bridge mode since it has external antennas. Only router setting I have to change is to shut off the router's DHCP server.

Some hotspots I can't connect to (using the router) and I assumed thats due to some compatiblity problem between the hotspot and my TP-Link.

But with this new hotspot I was connecting to I discovered its not always a compatiblity problem as the owner accused me of 'IP spoofing' and said he changed password to cut me off.

Now I know I can connect but the hotspot is set up to kick me off. Whats going on here? What setting do I ask them to change? From my limited knowledge I think I have to tell him to put MAC addresses of both the laptop and router into their allow list or white list, is that all? Is any IP spoofing done by router also or is he just ignorant by calling MAC spoofing 'IP spoofing'?

I don't know details of the equipment they use and prefer not to ask if I can just suggest something they can do.

The owner probably called MAC spoofing IP spoofing.

But the most important thing here is that you were using their Internet in a way that they didn't intend and you made them mad. It's their service and they don't want you using it anymore like that. If you can get back on their good graces, you might get access again, but otherwise you're asking us how to help you steal Internet access which will close the thread.

merlysys

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
My question was what to tell them so they can change settings to allow me in with router. They changed password, so I cant get in even without going thru router.

thats why I asked...
From my limited knowledge I think I have to tell him to put MAC addresses of both the laptop and router into their allow list or white list, is that all?

Latest posts