[SOLVED] Bridge mode router question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 27, 2021
So I purchased this router (Netgear Nighthawk XR1000) currently have at&t fiber 1000mbps plan and I've been trying to figure out on how to put the at&t router/modem (BGW210) into bridge mode I tried doing ip passthrough but I just couldn't access the router software features, I watched this video
View: https://youtu.be/yagPxTgPmX0
and do I really have to pay 15$ and do all that just get internet from my router and access its features? If so I just wanna make sure I don't want some at&t guy coming over and me having to pay 15$ a month more for like 5 ips

Solution
How can I do that if I don't even have access to the router
And yes those addresses stay the same when I connect to the at&t modem/router

If you don't have access to your router UI, then you didn't reset it correctly. You may want to look at the user manual. It should be no different then the day you pulled it out of the box.

You should be able to set it up by itself, with just your PC and the netgear router attached to each other. Make sure it's properly set up before connecting it to the internet.

Also, I would set your DNS as automatic for now. That could be a reason why you can't login to your router.

You should be able to type in your router's ip address(found on the DETAIL page) and the UI should show up.
Jul 27, 2021
Same IP address too? That can't be right with a hard reset.

A hard reset should restore your router to factory default. According to this, you have to hold the reset button for 30 seconds. A single press is called a soft reset: https://kb.netgear.com/000053098/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-router
Ok yea I was doing a soft reset just did a hard reset holding it for 30 seconds and still getting the same results same default gateway as my at&t for some reason even after the hard reset

Jul 27, 2021
So when you connect to your ATT router in normal mode, all those addresses are still the same?

I would change your netgear router to use 192.168.2.X range.

maybe try something simpler to start.

Put in the mac address of your pc instead and plug your pc directly into att.

The att router should assign the public IP to your pc. You should see this in the ipconfig command.

At least you know at this point the ATT device is doing things correctly and you can change the MAC address back to the mac of your router.

ATT method of doing this is one of strangest things I have seen.

Reactions: SamirD

If you don't have access to your router UI, then you didn't reset it correctly. You may want to look at the user manual. It should be no different then the day you pulled it out of the box.

You should be able to set it up by itself, with just your PC and the netgear router attached to each other. Make sure it's properly set up before connecting it to the internet.

Also, I would set your DNS as automatic for now. That could be a reason why you can't login to your router.

You should be able to type in your router's ip address(found on the DETAIL page) and the UI should show up.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
Jul 27, 2021
ut in the mac address of your pc instead and plug your pc directly into att.

Yea I dont know what Im doing wrong I'm setting it up correctly it just that the UI never comes up could this be a router issue? I dont really see what I could be doing wrong its all really basic did another hard reset plugged it in a different port still nothing comes up, just no internet
View: https://imgur.com/a/YKJXxsr

Jul 27, 2021
maybe try something simpler to start.

Put in the mac address of your pc instead and plug your pc directly into att.

The att router should assign the public IP to your pc. You should see this in the ipconfig command.

At least you know at this point the ATT device is doing things correctly and you can change the MAC address back to the mac of your router.

ATT method of doing this is one of strangest things I have seen.
Is my ip supposed to change or assign a new ip when I do this because it doesn't, everything stays the same on the ipconfig View: https://imgur.com/a/XSizU8N

It's definitely not getting hard factory reset because the default IP address is supposed to be 192.168.1.1, which would show up in your default gateway.

According to the manual on page 157: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XR1000/XR1000_UM_EN.pdf

"After you reset the router to factory default settings, the user name is admin, the password is password, the LAN IP address is 192.168.1.1 (which is the same as www.routerlogin.net), and the DHCP server is enabled."

Jul 27, 2021
It's definitely not getting hard factory reset because the default IP address is supposed to be 192.168.1.1, which would show up in your default gateway.

According to the manual on page 157: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XR1000/XR1000_UM_EN.pdf

"After you reset the router to factory default settings, the user name is admin, the password is password, the LAN IP address is 192.168.1.1 (which is the same as www.routerlogin.net), and the DHCP server is enabled."
Ok so I guess im a dumb### after a couple of resets it worked im currently setting up the router settings and making sure everything is fine so I can get this thing working :) I'll let you know in a couple of mins (update it showed the agreement I clicked on agree and it sent me to a website (routerlogin.net/ND_welcome.htm) and it doesn't load View: https://imgur.com/a/8MA9Ysv

Last edited:
Ok so I guess im a dumb### after a couple of resets it worked im currently setting up the router settings and making sure everything is fine so I can get this thing working :) I'll let you know in a couple of mins (update it showed the agreement I clicked on agree and it sent me to a website (routerlogin.net/ND_welcome.htm) and it doesn't load View: https://imgur.com/a/8MA9Ysv

Not because your dumb, it's because Netgear's firmware team has gone downhill in the last few years. I don't trust their products any more.

Last edited:
Made the reset again it same results as soon as I click on agree it sends me to a website that doesnt load :/

You might have to wait a while for the reset to take place, don't go by the lights on the router. Instead look at the DETAILS page to see what kind of address it shows. Make sure you're doing all of this with the netgear router disconnected from the ATT equipment.

Lastly, I usually use command prompt and run the ping command to 192.168.1.1 and wait for a response. Use -t to have it run continuous.

"ping -t 192.168.1.1"

Is my ip supposed to change or assign a new ip when I do this because it doesn't, everything stays the same on the ipconfig View: https://imgur.com/a/XSizU8N
That is what a ATT router looks like when it is working without the passthrough set.

Make sure you put in 70:85:C2:d6:19:05 for the fixed mac address. This is the mac of the ethernet on your PC. If you put something different in there it won't work. Note you likely want the "d" in capital the forum displays that as a emoji

Jul 27, 2021
You might have to wait a while for the reset to take place, don't go by the lights on the router. Instead look at the DETAILS page to see what kind of address it shows. Make sure you're doing all of this with the netgear router disconnected from the ATT equipment.

Lastly, I usually use command prompt and run the ping command to 192.168.1.1 and wait for a response. Use -t to have it run continuous.

"ping -t 192.168.1.1"
[/QUOTE
So I ran the command and Im getting replies <1ms which is good but I have this problem View: http://imgur.com/a/J9SdIoO

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
Came back with some good news I was able to get in the routers config through my phone I had to contact netgear support was with them for like 30min and everything is great(almost) (modem > router's wan port ) and Im getting internet connection, now I'm running with other issues.. we were able to even get in the router config from my pc cause I was setting it on my phone (username and password) he lowered the mtu 1500 > 1400 cause the internet wasn't working and ran some wizard internet setup it took like 3 minutes and now I have internet coming from my netgear router and the lights are good theres currently 2 problems
1.) My PC doesn't have internet (is connected via LAN cable from the router) already tried reseting the pc and everything I only get wifi signal to both of my phones and my tv
2.) I can't get in the 192.168.1.1 again not even from my phone he told me that once I was able to get back in I had to change the mtu from 1400 to 1450
Also something weird I noticed is that on the nighthawk app all the ips are almost similar except my pc's my pc got the modem ip even tho its connected to the router

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
Another update I finally was able to get a routers ip :D I had to run some ip reset commands on the command prompt ran into some issues but I finally have internet on my pc through lan cable and able to get in the router settings thanks everyone that replied for the help it means a lot and another question is it good to have 2 default gateways?