Question Bridged Modem & R7000 router slow wired internet speed

Aug 15, 2019
Hey everyone, I have a super confusing issue with my network setup at home and I could really use some help/guidance! I'll try to explain it as well as I can:

I have a R7000 that I use as a router with a bridged modem/router Arris TG2492 given to me by my ISP. I am meant to have 200mbps of download speed and 10mbps of upload speed, and that is what I get when connected to my 5Ghz wifi network with my personal laptop, or connected through wire anywhere.

The issue is, I have a gigabit switch (TL SG105) which connects both my desktop, and an access point I setup (EX6130, which I know does not have a gigabit port). Now, despite getting the 200mbps when I connect my laptop to my switch, my desktop only gets 40 to 50 mbps when my R7000 is setup as a router and my TG2492 is in bridge mode. I get barely nothing in upload speed too.

I tried setting up the TG2492 as a router/modem and use the R7000 as a hub, and I get speeds over 100mbps when using speedtest on my desktop, but then within seconds the dl speed crashes down to 50, 60. It's also very unstable, I can tell I get really poor dl speed with it compared to what I'm used to getting when my R7000 is setup as a modem and I'm using my laptop.

It's very strange, because I just changed all my cabling and everything except my Access Point should be gigabit capable. I'm thinking it might be an issue with the way I setup the router/bridged modem configuration, but I have factory reset both several times now and I consistently get the same results... I also have the latest firmware for both.

Here's a diagram of my network for clarity:

I would greatly greatly greatly appreciate any help, I'm extremely confused and don't know how to diagnose the issue anymore!

Aug 15, 2019
Are any of those lines between devices in-wall cabling (my guess is yes) ? What is the performance of the PC if connected directly to the wired port on the R7000 ?
Hey, thanks for your answer!

Yes, the cable between the r7000 and the sg105 is inside a wall.

The pc performs similarly when I skip the sg105 and just plug the ethernet cable into the computer (ie, I get 40mbps dl and 1mbps ul). When I plug my laptop, I get the full 200mbps.

I'm formatting my desktop right now since I'm running out of ideas, I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Aug 15, 2019
If you get 40Mbit directly plugged into the R7000, then I would recommend a factory reset of the R7000. Set just the admin password, ISP required info, SSIDs and WIFI passwords. Disable UPNP and WPS -- IMO. Then retest.
After formatting, the issue seems to be fixed! Not quite sure what happened... I just hope it stays fixed!

Thanks for your help!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS