Broadband extender Issue

stuarth88

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
I bought BT Broadband Extender 600 Kit, Powerline Adapters as my wifi connection was terrible. I connected them up and they are receiving the signal fine. However, my pc is only bringing this up as an unidentified public network and I cannot connect to the internet at all.

I have tried steps such as http://troubleshooter.xyz/wiki/fix-ethernet-doesnt-have-a-valid-ip-configuration/ and http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3013029/unidentified-network-internet-access-ethernet-win.html to no avail.

The only solution I havent been able to try is switching the network from public to private as the option is not there for me when I open the setting. The only option I have is to change the connection to a metered connection.

Solution
What this message basically means is your powerline devices are not actually connected. To your PC and the router it should appear the same as if placed a switch between the two. All the message means is your PC asked for a IP from the router and got no response.

If we assume your router is properly configured and works if you plug directly in that pretty much leave the powerline. All you can do is check to be sure the ethernet cable on both ends are correctly connected. You could I suppose replace the ethernet cables on both ends but it is unlikely they are bad.

Powerline boxes are pretty stupid. Many models have lights that tell you if they paired with each other but other than that there is not much. All you can really...
What this message basically means is your powerline devices are not actually connected. To your PC and the router it should appear the same as if placed a switch between the two. All the message means is your PC asked for a IP from the router and got no response.

If we assume your router is properly configured and works if you plug directly in that pretty much leave the powerline. All you can do is check to be sure the ethernet cable on both ends are correctly connected. You could I suppose replace the ethernet cables on both ends but it is unlikely they are bad.

Powerline boxes are pretty stupid. Many models have lights that tell you if they paired with each other but other than that there is not much. All you can really do is try a different outlet. You could test them plugged into different outlets in the same room.

Solution