Broadcom Introduces 5th-Gen Wi-Fi Combo Chip for Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesto1000

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
This is nice and all, but I hope that cellphone companies and carriers don't use that as a marketing gimmick to convince people to buy a phone. They might be tempted to say that it's a 5g phone and then people will think "Oh this is 5g? It must be faster than this 4g phone! Let me get this one instead!" when they're just comparing oranges to apples.

game junky

Distinguished
Though it is exciting to see them working on deploying 802.11ac, I don't think I will get a significant benefit from the additional speed unless I am streaming media from an internal network device. This will really be a game changer for HTPC's streaming from another workgroup/network computer though. I have a large collection of media that I stream through my 360 and ps3 in my living room. I was worried about attempting to rip bluray video because I didn't think my N-band was going to be good enough to minimize buffering. I'll definitely give it a try once this goes to market next year

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I hate xG nomenclature. But I suppose it sells to the idiotic masses, 5G must be better than 4G, I'll buy it. Morons in the boardroom selling to morons in their living rooms.

schriss

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Briiliant! My Broadband is 125Mbps and when browsing youTube or streaming from my NAS drive, Smartphone WiFi is just way too slow. It works OK, but improvement like 802.11ac will be very much welcomed.
Just don't fall into that "dramatically improved range" as it's a lie, range is not changed at all, but the speed is, quite a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.