[SOLVED] Broke m.2 m2a standoff screw/frame

Aug 15, 2019
Hey people,

So today I wanted to install my new m.2 ssd and on the aorus pro z390 the standoff was on the most far extrimity which was too long for my ssd and I wanted to unscrew it and it would not budge, so I took some pliers to loose it a little but it basically just ended up not unscrewing itself , instead the whole stand off and standoff frame came together leaving the circle hole empty,

is there any risk that I broke my mobo and it will cause instability or some bad things ? I am asking this question with this exact pc. Or would it just change absolutely nothing and leave a little screw hole empty ?

Here is an image to show an example, it is not the same model nor the same position but basically this while metal thing came off and it's just an empty circle through the motherboard now

https://imggmi.com/full/2019/10/6/3945803bcbc64fe66b8d5bcc9f1bab0e-full.jpg.html

I ended up pluging it in the m2m which was adjusted properly

Solution
Hey people,

So today I wanted to install my new m.2 ssd and on the aorus pro z390 the standoff was on the most far extrimity which was too long for my ssd and I wanted to unscrew it and it would not budge, so I took some pliers to loose it a little but it basically just ended up not unscrewing itself , instead the whole stand off and standoff frame came together leaving the circle hole empty,

is there any risk that I broke my mobo and it will cause instability or some bad things ? I am asking this question with this exact pc. Or would it just change absolutely nothing and leave a little screw hole empty ?

Here is an image to show an example, it is not the same model nor the same position but basically this while metal thing came...
Hey people,

Here is an image to show an example, it is not the same model nor the same position but basically this while metal thing came off and it's just an empty circle through the motherboard now

https://imggmi.com/full/2019/10/6/3945803bcbc64fe66b8d5bcc9f1bab0e-full.jpg.html

I ended up pluging it in the m2m which was adjusted properly
Is the board in warranty? It could have been the standoff was cross-threaded from the factory and that's why it ripped out the threaded insert.

If you ever need to mount an M.2 of that length in that socket you can probably find a standoff of right length and put a nut and washer on other side of motherboard to hold it in. So all is not a loss, at least.

Solution