[SOLVED] Broke off plastic part of USB Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

F3ralSl4yer

Prominent
May 28, 2022
I broke off the plastic part
20220528_123028.jpg
which you can see while removing the usb that was in that port, in picture SS port on the right.
IMG_20220528_124047.jpg

my question is do i have to do something to prevent it from short circuiting or catching on fire or something similar or is it ok as long as i don't touch it?

Solution
The big question is whether the contacts that are still in the tower might move and short out, which is not a good thing.
If the piece can be fitted back in, can you not 'Krazy Glue' it?
USB ports can be used to charge phones and other devices. One of those unprotected pins carries +5V from the PSU and one carries ground, shorting them together would make for a bad day I'm sure.

I don't think it could be repaired, but attempts won't do any worse harm. Otherwise, and if repair fails, disable the port completely by plugging it so no-one will ever try to insert anything. Tape can be removed by someone unaware of what evil lurks within.
The big question is whether the contacts that are still in the tower might move and short out, which is not a good thing.
If the piece can be fitted back in, can you not 'Krazy Glue' it?
USB ports can be used to charge phones and other devices. One of those unprotected pins carries +5V from the PSU and one carries ground, shorting them together would make for a bad day I'm sure.

I don't think it could be repaired, but attempts won't do any worse harm. Otherwise, and if repair fails, disable the port completely by plugging it so no-one will ever try to insert anything. Tape can be removed by someone unaware of what evil lurks within.

Solution
I broke off the plastic part
20220528_123028.jpg
which you can see while removing the usb that was in that port, in picture SS port on the right.
IMG_20220528_124047.jpg

my question is do i have to do something to prevent it from short circuiting or catching on fire or something similar or is it ok as long as i don't touch it?
Can you see the back of the port and how it is connected to the motherboard? If there are visible connectors that can be snipped off the motherboard with wire cutters that would be the ultimate solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.