Broken Bios Screen and Nothing else loads

Jul 18, 2018
Hi, my computer doesn't work anymore. I have a gigabyte motherboard, and at first windows wouldn't boot properly and it looked like this was due to it trying to load from the wrong drive (D: as opposed to C: ) so I tried to access the bios to change the load order/boot settings. However I couldn't access the bios and then my computer alternates between the auto repair screen and not displaying anything. Eventually I managed to access what I thought might have been the bios, except it was nothing but a blue screen with pink, horizontal lines through it. I did some digging and ended up resetting the CMOS battery and now as it's meant to, the computer always boots into the bios but again the bios doesn't work. Any help?

Jul 18, 2018

No not quite, the screen is as I described, blue with pink lines, I assume that's the BIOS trying to load since that is what is meant to be loading but no options show up and my keyboard doesn't seem to be working while on that screen.

Jul 18, 2018

No that's screwed as well I think, although it might be because my screen is slightly delayed in detecting input in the beginning so by the time I can see anything, that screen has passed.

I'm almost thinking you might have a video issue.
Are you running on integrated graphics? or are you using a video card?

....and please explain this...

" windows wouldn't boot properly and it looked like this was due to it trying to load from the wrong drive"

wouldn't boot properly? how?

....and how come you thought it was trying to boot from the wrong drive?

Jul 18, 2018

Right, so I'm using AMD Sapphire Radeon R9 270 for a video/graphics card.

It failed to boot and took me to the auto repair/troubleshoot screen and it said that it logged the process in the D: drive, when that is the disc tray, compared to the C: which is my HDD.

Jul 18, 2018

Neither my processor or my motherboard have integrated graphics but no worries, thanks for all the help so far!

Do you have access to another video card? Even a cheap one.

If I had access to one I would swap it in.

At this point....being you can't even get to the BIOS....there's not much to do as far as software. You need to get video and you need to get to the BIOS.....and this is going to take some sort of hardware swap.

Jul 18, 2018

No, I don't, that sucks. This was my first pc and it is coming on 4 years in december so I don't have any old GPUs. If it's at all helpful I could send a picture of the screen I'm getting, if not being able to fix it, I'd just like to know what the issue is.

It wouldn't hurt to post the picture. I'm a little curious anyway.

....but yeah....at this point....I think something needs to be swapped with the hardware. There's not much else to do.....although....I thought of one other thing if you haven't done it.

Power down....unplug....and then go through all the connectors and cables.

By this is mean....unplug the connectors....inspect the connectors, both the plug and the jack for anything odd......and then reseat the connectors.

Do them one at a time so nothing gets mixed up.

Doing this has fixed quite a few PCs for me.

Jul 18, 2018

Thanks, here's the picture and I'll do that now and get back in a little bit.
Dsgaa2p.jpg

Jul 18, 2018

Ah, fantastic, the most expensive part is toast haha. Thanks I'll look into possibly replacing it but that's unlikely. All the connections seem to be fine. What I'm wondering is that if the issue is with my GPU and not the Motherboard then why does my keyboard not respond at all? Pressing caps lock usually lights up red on my keyboard signalling that it's working but it doesn't do that.

Well....I said I "suspect" it "might" be toast....but it's still the #1 thing I would suspect.

As far as the keyboard....this is just a wild guess.....but perhaps the video card is pulling down the voltage on one of the rails and that's causing it.

The thing is....as you might imagine....diagnosing these things isn't the easiest thing to do over the internet. ;)

Jul 18, 2018

Yeah that's totally fair enough. Thanks for all the help, I think I'm just gonna wait for a while then either get a new card or pc depending on which is more efficient.