Question broken ethernet

Oct 3, 2021
an engineer plugged in an old ethernet cable that was liying behind my tv, the cable was actually cut and was inside the wall cavity but hed plugged it into the router and the router lights were flashing, could this have been causing an issue and could it have caused any damage?
thanks

Oct 3, 2021
thankyou, well its working now but since he came out ive been experiencing bb dropouts, i was just disconnected from an irace and the router reset itself so i had a look and found a 3rd cable that shouldnt have been there. so im wondering if a cable that was cut off but plugged in causing the connection lights to flash could have been causing a connection issue? ie the router was trying to send out signals to a dead end?.....NOOB.

USAFRet

Titan
thankyou, well its working now but since he came out ive been experiencing bb dropouts, i was just disconnected from an irace and the router reset itself so i had a look and found a 3rd cable that shouldnt have been there. so im wondering if a cable that was cut off but plugged in causing the connection lights to flash could have been causing a connection issue? ie the router was trying to send out signals to a dead end?.....NOOB.
Sounds like you need someone actually competent to diagnose all the wiring in your house.

Not some 'engineer' that plugs in a random cable without knowing what it is or is not connected to.

Oct 3, 2021
id usually check everything after them but i was busy. you would expect an eng to at least ask or only plug things back in that were plugged in before? no?.......but do you know if a severed cable could cause connection issues?

USAFRet

Titan
id usually check everything after them but i was busy. you would expect an eng to at least ask or only plug things back in that were plugged in before? no?.......but do you know if a severed cable could cause connection issues?
You would 'expect', yes.
But there are many many clueless people out there, faking it.

No, the router should not be trying to do anything with a cable that is not connected to anything on the other end.