[SOLVED] Broken heat sink fan and having trouble looking for replacements

Nov 11, 2018
I currently have a Cooler Master Excalibur that's mounted on to my heat sink, but it has recently started to break down. The blades are no longer spinning smoothly, and the fan itself seems to stop at random times. I've tried to fix the issue with the fan itself, but with no results.

I'm currently using a Neutral air pressure set up. I have 1 cooler master fan in the front of my PC to collect cool air, and 2 NZxT fans placed on the top and back. The Excalibur being the heat sink fan. I would buy another one, but Cooler Master discontinued them.

Now, I'm looking for a replacement fan for it. The only issue is that I'm not sure what fan would be a good match for it. I know that the Excalibur fan that I had in there was pretty strong, especially since I've been using it as a heat sink fan, even though it's listed as a case fan. I just can't figure out the specifics necessary to find a proper replacement. I can't check for how fast the heat sink fan was spinning since I don't want to risk any further damage using my PC.

The RPM on the Excalibur is about 600 to 2000 RPM. It was spinning decently fast when I had it there previously. I was looking into getting an Arctic F12 PWM to replace it, as I've seen another thread talking about using it as a heat sink fan. I'm just really unsure about it.

Any info on this would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Solution
You can use any 120mm (the excalibur came with a 120mm) fan that you like. Just make sure you use a low static pressure fan if you plan on pulling air across the heat sink, and a high static pressure fan if you plan on pushing the air across the heat sink.

I just saw that you were looking at the Artic F12 PWM. It actually moves a lot less air than the Excalibur. The main things you want to get close to for similar performance are the size (120mm), RPM (600-2000), CFM (26.4 - 85.6), and noise (13-30 dBA). Really, the CFM range is the main stat that you want to look at.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
You can use any 120mm (the excalibur came with a 120mm) fan that you like. Just make sure you use a low static pressure fan if you plan on pulling air across the heat sink, and a high static pressure fan if you plan on pushing the air across the heat sink.

I just saw that you were looking at the Artic F12 PWM. It actually moves a lot less air than the Excalibur. The main things you want to get close to for similar performance are the size (120mm), RPM (600-2000), CFM (26.4 - 85.6), and noise (13-30 dBA). Really, the CFM range is the main stat that you want to look at.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS