Question Broken internet

Suidd

Prominent
Jun 16, 2023
My connection is just really unstable high packet loss , high ping , hight jitter . Ive been fighting with my ISP for a while now and they have checked and replaced all my wires twice.My connection seems to only be stable when I download something. My ISP is saying everything is 100% working/fine on their end. I have no idea what could wrong on my end. I use their modem they gave me , Im using an ethernet cable . Ive tested it on my PC , 2 phones , brand new ps5 , xbox . its all the same the connection just wont get better. Does anyone have any idea on what I could do cause clearly my ISP thinks its me.
View: https://imgur.com/a/cNjFcpT

Im completely out of ideas and im just frustrated at this point. I have no idea what to do cause this isnt something im super familiar with.

kanewolf

Titan
My connection is just really unstable high packet loss , high ping , hight jitter . Ive been fighting with my ISP for a while now and they have checked and replaced all my wires twice.My connection seems to only be stable when I download something. My ISP is saying everything is 100% working/fine on their end. I have no idea what could wrong on my end. I use their modem they gave me , Im using an ethernet cable . Ive tested it on my PC , 2 phones , brand new ps5 , xbox . its all the same the connection just wont get better. Does anyone have any idea on what I could do cause clearly my ISP thinks its me.
View: https://imgur.com/a/cNjFcpT

Im completely out of ideas and im just frustrated at this point. I have no idea what to do cause this isnt something im super familiar with.
Pingplotter is not useful to troubleshoot. You need to ping individual addresses in that chain. Use cmd windows and command line ping.
Why is pingplotter bad? Because EVERY node up to the bad one will show as slow. Probably if you ping 10.4.6.93 it may have low latency and consistency. It may be the 5th (picked at random for no specific known issue) node that has an issue. Your ISP hardware may stop at node 4. Anything past their hardware, they have no direct control. They can try to get an alternate path or other trunk balancing or can try to contact the provider with the issue.

The problem is your ISP does not have actual network techs for their level 1 support.

We see large numbers of people post pingplotter results and have no clue how to read them...just like the ISP tech.

This is a perfect example of one that shows the problem is in the connection between your house and the ISP. You see no issue to hop 1 which should be your router. You then see problems starting in hop 2 and it continues all the way to the end including the final location.

Since hop 2 has a minimum latency of 7ms this also means this is not a device in your house. Some people have multiple routers.

You are going to have to lead the ISP tech by the hand.

You are better off using very simple ping commands instead. Even then I have run into tech that have no clue what a ping command is. I think a AI would be better than the techs who just read off a script they have no clue what means.

What you want to do is open multiple cmd windows. Run constant ping to hop1, hop 2 and the final IP. Hopefully the hop 2 ip responds to ping. You are in effect doing pathping yourself.

What you want to explain to the ISP is you see no loss at all to your router. This means your pc is fine, the cable is fine, the router is fine. You see then see loss to the first ISP router and anything beyond that including any actual web site.

This is most the time some issue with cabling outside your house. There is a rare chance it could be cabling inside so you would want to hook the modem to the location the cable comes in. If it is fiber do not mess with it. This is mostly so they can't blame the in house cabling...you are 1 step ahead of the ISP tech script. You also might try to get into the modem and see what messages are there. If it is a cable modem many times you can see the signal levels. There is a rare chance it is the modem but that is uncommon.

Suidd

Prominent
Jun 16, 2023
The problem is your ISP does not have actual network techs for their level 1 support.

We see large numbers of people post pingplotter results and have no clue how to read them...just like the ISP tech.

This is a perfect example of one that shows the problem is in the connection between your house and the ISP. You see no issue to hop 1 which should be your router. You then see problems starting in hop 2 and it continues all the way to the end including the final location.

Since hop 2 has a minimum latency of 7ms this also means this is not a device in your house. Some people have multiple routers.

You are better off using very simple ping commands instead. Even then I have run into tech that have no clue what a ping command is. I think a AI would be better than the techs who just read off a script they have no clue what means.

What you want to do is open multiple cmd windows. Run constant ping to hop1, hop 2 and the final IP. Hopefully the hop 2 ip responds to ping. You are in effect doing pathping yourself.

What you want to explain to the ISP is you see no loss at all to your router. This means your pc is fine, the cable is fine, the router is fine. You see then see loss to the first ISP router and anything beyond that including any actual web site.

This is most the time some issue with cabling outside your house. There is a rare chance it could be cabling inside so you would want to hook the modem to the location the cable comes in. If it is fiber do not mess with it. This is mostly so they can't blame the in house cabling...you are 1 step ahead of the ISP tech script. You also might try to get into the modem and see what messages are there. If it is a cable modem many times you can see the signal levels. There is a rare chance it is the modem but that is uncommon.
okay so how do i cmd to ping stuff again i completely forgot and when I do have an tech come over he just interuppts me and disregards what I saying , and just keeps saying everything is fine on our end its you. Like hes a damn robot.I can access the modem signal levels my ISP only allows very basic functions like change password whos on the wifi and thats about it

Suidd

Prominent
Jun 16, 2023
okay so how do i cmd to ping stuff again i completely forgot and when I do have an tech come over he just interuppts me and disregards what I saying , and just keeps saying everything is fine on our end its you. Like hes a damn robot.I can access the modem signal levels my ISP only allows very basic functions like change password whos on the wifi and thats about it
Also just wanted to throw this in there. This is what it my internet looks like while I have my netduma r2 router plugged in while its downloading bladurs gate 3 from steam . Its A LOT better but not perfect and it just makes no sense to me. View: https://imgur.com/a/HChkZsO

Suidd

Prominent
Jun 16, 2023

I tried to ping all 3 and I got request timed out on all of them.

Sounds like you have modem/router combo unit. It depends on the brand what is available. Most have modem screens but if the ISP limits them not much you can do. It would be kinda dumb to restrict access. There is really nothing you can change in a cable modem anyway. They just allow you to display stuff. Even when you have your own separate cable modem there is nothing you can configure in it. The ISP is in full control but they most allow you to look at logs and signal levels.

Windows has change things they like to call the cmd window powershell. That will work but you can still get the old style command prompt by pressing the windows key and type CMD into run. The ping command is simple

Ping ip address -t

Your second pingplotter results are problematic. The don't show a actual problem. If the problem is intermittent it can do this. Intermitttent internet issue a a huge pain to find...could be why the ISP does not see them if they happen to test when it is being good.

So just as I was going to press enter I see your last post.

You get a timeout if you do

ping 192.168. 77.1.

Almost impossible since your internet will not work at all if you can't even see your router. If this is actually blocked then you have a new issue, likely the firewall blocking stuff. Use the option to turn off the firewall temporarily.....it is unlikely this is the cause of your main issue because a firewall blocks traffic all the time not randomly.

Suidd

Prominent
Jun 16, 2023
So it took a bit since I never heard of netduma but that appears to be a just a simple router. You must have another box that the router wan port plugs into . This is some kind of modem. It depends on if you have fiber or coax cable.
netduma is just like a typical gaming router to help reduce lag and stuff , and yeah im using the modem from Optimum and I have a coax cable

Ya sure "gaming router" :). It is not likely the problem but I would disable any of those features. Use the box purely to do the NAT function. There is no way to reduce the lag or latency unless you are overloading your internet connection and that really is a different issue. It can do nothing about latency in the internet past your house. All these feature do is slow things down when you have a fast internet connection.

Just to be sure try to plug you pc directly into the modem. You might have to power cycle the modem when every you change what is plugged into it. Cable modem tend to lock the first mac address they see.

This also would be a way to prove to your ISP it is not your router if it also has issue directly plugged into the modem.

Most optimum modems are rebranded arris/motorola. This is the most common brand of modem. Try putting 192.168.100.1 in your browser. This is a very common IP used by modems. It should let you see lots of interesting things.

Key to look for is the signal levels. You can look up the recommended ones but a common issue is going to be output levels above 50db.

Suidd

Prominent
Jun 16, 2023
So it took a bit since I never heard of netduma but that appears to be a just a simple router. You must have another box that the router wan port plugs into . This is some kind of modem. It depends on if you have fiber or coax cable.
I cant run 192.168.1.1 to ping keep getting timedout same with 10.4.6.93 and the final hop. only one that works so far is 8.8.8.8 View: https://imgur.com/a/FfAK0Bj

Suidd

Prominent
Jun 16, 2023
Ya sure "gaming router" :). It is not likely the problem but I would disable any of those features. Use the box purely to do the NAT function. There is no way to reduce the lag or latency unless you are overloading your internet connection and that really is a different issue. It can do nothing about latency in the internet past your house. All these feature do is slow things down when you have a fast internet connection.

Just to be sure try to plug you pc directly into the modem. You might have to power cycle the modem when every you change what is plugged into it. Cable modem tend to lock the first mac address they see.

This also would be a way to prove to your ISP it is not your router if it also has issue directly plugged into the modem.

Most optimum modems are rebranded arris/motorola. This is the most common brand of modem. Try putting 192.168.100.1 in your browser. This is a very common IP used by modems. It should let you see lots of interesting things.

Key to look for is the signal levels. You can look up the recommended ones but a common issue is going to be output levels above 50db.
Yeah i liked to be hard wired in my modem when i do these kinds of test. and 192.168.100.1 doest work i can only access it on their website and this is all I can do View: https://imgur.com/a/A0XE3bu

That is very strange. I wonder where 192.168.1.1 gateway is coming from.

When you posted the pingplotter results did you have your router in the path.

There is a device with 192.16.77.1 as the first hop. This should be your router.

The new data show 192.168.1.1 as the gateway. What I would have expected if you plug into the modem is your pc will get some 10.x.x.x. IP and have a gateway IP of 10.4.6.93. This is the IP you see in your test for hop 2. When you plug directly into a modem the first hop should be the ISP router now since there is nothing in your house to respond.

Now if you did the first tests without your netduma router the device you are calling a modem is a router but that does not explain the 192.168.1.1 IP address.

In the end the issue is still the same it is highly likely the problem is in the ISP cabling coming to your house. It appears to be a intermittent. There is not much you can do to fix it.

Best test if a tech comes back out is to have them ping some common ip like 8.8.8.8 from their test box both when it connected to the coax cable then connected to the modem. Hopefully they see packet loss.

Suidd

Prominent
Jun 16, 2023
That is very strange. I wonder where 192.168.1.1 gateway is coming from.

When you posted the pingplotter results did you have your router in the path.

There is a device with 192.16.77.1 as the first hop. This should be your router.

The new data show 192.168.1.1 as the gateway. What I would have expected if you plug into the modem is your pc will get some 10.x.x.x. IP and have a gateway IP of 10.4.6.93. This is the IP you see in your test for hop 2. When you plug directly into a modem the first hop should be the ISP router now since there is nothing in your house to respond.

Now if you did the first tests without your netduma router the device you are calling a modem is a router but that does not explain the 192.168.1.1 IP address.

In the end the issue is still the same it is highly likely the problem is in the ISP cabling coming to your house. It appears to be a intermittent. There is not much you can do to fix it.

Best test if a tech comes back out is to have them ping some common ip like 8.8.8.8 from their test box both when it connected to the coax cable then connected to the modem. Hopefully they see packet loss.
In my very first post I was wired in to my modem and the second post when i showed what it looked like when i plug in my netduma and download something thats when i was using my duma and yeah i can try but they keep sending the same tech guy out and like i said earlier he just ignores what i say or just says no it it must be ur equipment so its been really hard. but ill try cause they sent the same guy out today and his supervisor claimed they did a bunch of test and everything was 100% fine and it must be my issue not theirs and im getting charged now for the visit which is awesome LOL

Suidd

Prominent
Jun 16, 2023
So be very sure you get a simple test that fails. Ping 8.8.8.8 should show packet loss.

The I would be very happy to pay them to come out and show me how their pc does not get loss to 8.8.8.8. Especially if the modem is theirs.
alright sounds good cause I did just show u mine haha. request time out does mean packet loss right? ill ask in a day or two and ask for a different tech cause this one is kind of an asshole.

So looking more at your trace is there a ISP router you unplugged and replaced with your netduma router.

What you should have seen was

Now you replaced a router with the 192.168.1.1 ip that would explain it.

The trace without any router and just a modem hop 1 should be 10.4.6.93

Suidd

Prominent
Jun 16, 2023
No , Im just using their modem/router combo . I only plugged in my netduma so i could have a stable connection and show you some proof. I just tried to ping 10.4.6.93 and all request timed out.

Suidd

Prominent
Jun 16, 2023
So looking more at your trace is there a ISP router you unplugged and replaced with your netduma router.

The trace without any router and just a modem hop 1 should be 10.4.6.93I had

The trace without any router and just a modem hop 1 should be 10.4.6.93
What if they say its my hardware or any of my equipment is there anytest and just the cmd prompt with ping test the only evidence i can use to show them its not because thats all they use against me

This is where is gets messy. It almost can't be your pc. Your ping plot tests show you get no loss to hop 1...some router in your house. If it was the pc it would get loss to all hops. The pc has no option but to send all the data out the ethernet port it does not send data differently when it goes to your router or to any other IP.

If the ISP owns the modem it should not work differently for your pc and the ISP techs pc. Both should show loss to say 8.8.8.8

Problem is if the problem is intermittent it might decide not to show loss on your pc or the ISP techs pc when they come over to your house. This is very frustrating for people where problems only happen during times the ISP is closed.

Now it could be your router with that fancy gaming garbage but since it also has issue without the router that pretty much proves it is not the router. You also know your pc is good so what is left in the path that is "your" equipment.

Suidd

Prominent
Jun 16, 2023
This is where is gets messy. It almost can't be your pc. Your ping plot tests show you get no loss to hop 1...some router in your house. If it was the pc it would get loss to all hops. The pc has no option but to send all the data out the ethernet port it does not send data differently when it goes to your router or to any other IP.

If the ISP owns the modem it should not work differently for your pc and the ISP techs pc. Both should show loss to say 8.8.8.8

Problem is if the problem is intermittent it might decide not to show loss on your pc or the ISP techs pc when they come over to your house. This is very frustrating for people where problems only happen during times the ISP is closed.

Now it could be your router with that fancy gaming garbage but since it also has issue without the router that pretty much proves it is not the router. You also know your pc is good so what is left in the path that is "your" equipment.
Nothing its just my ethernet cable and i just got a new one yesterday and its still the same test

I can't see how it would be possible for it to your PC. You can ping the router IP all day long and get no loss.
Key here sure they use a pc plugged into the same port on the modem as you test your pc. If they use their meter to do pings it is connected directly to the coax cable and does not pass through the modem.

Suidd

Prominent
Jun 16, 2023
so what do u think i should do i do a bunch of test showing no packet loss from my pc to modem and then do the 8.8.8.8 then make the tech do it and hopefully see some packet loss>?
I can't see how it would be possible for it to your PC. You can ping the router IP all day long and get no loss.
Key here sure they use a pc plugged into the same port on the modem as you test your pc. If they use their meter to do pings it is connected directly to the coax cable and does not pass through the modem.

That is pretty much your only option. If you had not posted your tests I might suspect you had a vpn. A vpn trace tend to look different you do not even see your own router IP.
I can't think of any way your pc can ping your router with no loss but see loss to 8.8.8.8 and the problem be the pc.

Suidd

Prominent
Jun 16, 2023
Alright well ill call them tomorrow and see what I can do. It will probably end up no where since they dont wanna help clearly. Thanks for all ur help and advice . Ill let you know if anything happens !

TRENDING THREADS