[SOLVED] Broken/not working motherboard RAM slot

DanijelPeder

Commendable
Mar 31, 2019
So I have my 2x8 ddr4 ram from before I upgraded my PC (components), and when I turned on pc it wasn't booting up. So then I removed one ram from the first slot and it worked but then I only had 8 ram not 16. Then I bought 1 stick of 16 ram and I thought maybe the ram was broken and I put the new ram in the first slot and pc wasn't booting up as well. Till now I have it in second slot. Today I watched what to do if it's not working and saw some posts to spray/blow the dust out. I tried doing that and still doesn't work. So what am I supposed to do now? New mobo supposedly? I have 7th gen i7 and I can't get brand new mobo's in my country in stores. Is it worth buying from ebay/used?

Solution
I don't know what to tell you.
If the pin is not damaged, look elsewhere for your problem.
If a pin is damaged, either your try to fix it or you buy a new motherboard.
Inserting a processor is not that hard, you just need to be careful.
Remove the cooler.
It helps to run the cpu a bit first which will soften the paste making the cooler easy to remove.
Align the diamond and notches.
Drop the cpu into the socket.
Do not smoosh it around to seat it or you will damage a pin.
You will need new paste when you remount the cooler.

If you have doubts as to your ability, find a less fumblefingered friend.
it should at least recognize the RAM no matter where it is placed but,
try making sure you have the RAM placed in the correct DIMMs. they should be labeled something like B1 B2 A1 A2, where a single dual-channel set would go in A2 / B2. but you would have to check your motherboard manual to verify exactly how it is setup.

DanijelPeder

Commendable
Mar 31, 2019
it should at least recognize the RAM no matter where it is placed but,
try making sure you have the RAM placed in the correct DIMMs. they should be labeled something like B1 B2 A1 A2, where a single dual-channel set would go in A2 / B2. but you would have to check your motherboard manual to verify exactly how it is setup.
Um I have only 2 slots on mobo.

Um I have only 2 slots on mobo.
...but you would have to check your motherboard manual to verify exactly how it is setup.

it could even be a problem with your CPU. if the CPU's memory controller isn't functioning correctly it will effect RAM. if some pins are bent/damaged then it could inhibit RAM use or certain combinations.

if BIOS updates and reseating RAM & CPU don't have any effect;
do you have a second 1151 system you can test components in? maybe from friends, family, etc?

DanijelPeder

Commendable
Mar 31, 2019
it could even be a problem with your CPU. if the CPU's memory controller isn't functioning correctly it will effect RAM. if some pins are bent/damaged then it could inhibit RAM use or certain combinations.

if BIOS updates and reseating RAM & CPU don't have any effect;
do you have a second 1151 system you can test components in? maybe from friends, family, etc?
I don't think so since everything is working perfectly fine. And no, I don't have any other components.

Did you remove the cpu from the motherboard cpu socket?
A common mistake is to bend socket pins while inserting the cpu.
loss of a channel is a typical error.

If you think this might be the case, remove the processor and look closely for a bent socket pin.
Sometimes such damage can be corrected.

Reactions: DanijelPeder

DanijelPeder

Commendable
Mar 31, 2019
Did you remove the cpu from the motherboard cpu socket?
A common mistake is to bend socket pins while inserting the cpu.
loss of a channel is a typical error.

If you think this might be the case, remove the processor and look closely for a bent socket pin.
Sometimes such damage can be corrected.
I don't want to cuz im scared xD. U see, I didn't upgrade it, one of my friend did it for me.. Well should I just buy a new mobo? Cuz i've been thinking of buying new pc anyway.

Remove the cooler.
It helps to run the cpu a bit first which will soften the paste making the cooler easy to remove.

Reactions: DanijelPeder
Solution

DanijelPeder

Commendable
Mar 31, 2019
Remove the cooler.

Yeah, I think i'll just buy new mobo since all of my components are new except for mobo. I know for cpu just allign and drop it in and that's it afaik. I'll update when I get the mobo and if everything is working fine :) Thanks for help lads.