[SOLVED] Broken SATA power connector on HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
Well, this is a bummer.... I just cracked the SATA power connector on a large 5TB HDD! It's still working and I have it plugged in, but I'm sure if I unplug it one more time, the connector will go with it.

So what are my options here? Is this fixable or should I just start backing up important stuff and start digging a hole in my backyard?

Solution
First 3 pins serve the same purpose. As long as one of them is fine, drive will operate normally.
But since one pin is broken and other may not make proper contact, remaining pin will heat up more (may be even melt surrounding plastic).
So - make sure bent pin is straightened and making proper contact.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS85L0QvNzM3NzYxL29yaWdpbmFsL1NlcmlhbC1hdGEtY29ubmVjdG9yLmdpZg==

DSzymborski

Titan
Start backing up important stuff? The time to start backing up important stuff on the hard drive was the day you put important stuff on the hard drive, and to multiple locations.

PCB swaps are a lot harder than they used to be and since to get a donor PCB will cost the same as a new hard drive, you should just get a new hard drive. But get that data off before you do anything else and be blessed you've been given a warning about your backup practices before you lose your important data forever. We get lots of people show up here who did not get that lucky!

USAFRet

Titan
Well, this is a bummer.... I just cracked the SATA power connector on a large 5TB HDD! It's still working and I have it plugged in, but I'm sure if I unplug it one more time, the connector will go with it.

So what are my options here? Is this fixable or should I just start backing up important stuff and start digging a hole in my backyard?
Backups are what you do before the Bad Thing happens.

A pastor I knew had broken the plastic connector on his Intel SSD, where the pins were just sort of suspended in midair, and, eventually his shoestring (literally!) loosened to the point of where the fitting shifted enough to short out, and stop the rig from even powering on.

I put his SSD in a 5.25" removable drive bay from IcyDock, which uses fixed pin mounts/connectors, and no longer needs the plastic pieces to hold the cables' connectors in place... (they cost about $35-$40 last time I checked)

Or, replace the drive...

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
Upon looking closer at the connector, looks like I cracked off the corner of the plastic bit of the L shaped piece, the pins are all intact. Now I'm wondering if I can continue using the drive since it's only the corner of the plastic.... I also looked at SATA male to female connectors and an L shaped connector just might be what I need..... I just hate to trash a $150 HDD, but hey, life happens I suppose [emoji2371]

I was able to backup my important stuff either way, stuff I can't replace, so I'll just have to see what happens from here.

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
Alright so here's what I ended up doing! I looked at the drive, and one pin was bent and one was broken off..... Is this safe to still use? I'll attach a pic...

So I put one of those L shaped SATA male to female adapters on it and the drive is working fine. But is this safe to use?
2435d479a7444d7a53f7959318aabf90.jpg
0723a832ffdc44311cb611b90dfdca10.jpg
4801182fa883e0a715c2d96457c57f91.jpg
38c511d2569dc3f49933a19df539d75a.jpg

First 3 pins serve the same purpose. As long as one of them is fine, drive will operate normally.
But since one pin is broken and other may not make proper contact, remaining pin will heat up more (may be even melt surrounding plastic).
So - make sure bent pin is straightened and making proper contact.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS85L0QvNzM3NzYxL29yaWdpbmFsL1NlcmlhbC1hdGEtY29ubmVjdG9yLmdpZg==

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.