Brookstone Sells Wi-Fi Enabled Cufflinks for $250

Status
Not open for further replies.
while this is cool... I am a little confused about the wifi part of this. I mean, is James Bond smuggeling a large desktop into a high security area, only to realize that the place he is setting up has no ethernet available? So he slyly uses one of his cuff links rather than just installing a wifi card in the computer to begin with?

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
It would make much more sense if the storage part was actually a microsd usb adapter with added encryption ( for the spy part :p ). You would be able to replace the measly 2Gb with 64 Gb easily, or change storage on the go.

Still way too pricey.

G

The wifi scenario is: you're targeting a desktop to which you have physical access, but which has only wired networking. You are carrying the cufflink and. of course, your smartphone. (In this case, probably an Android or a heavily jailbroken iPhone, not a standard issue iPhone). You have full control over the computer and the encryption is broken, but you need to get a continuing data stream out of it. So you make it wifi enabled (and give it a hidden-SSID accesspoint setup) and leave the smartphone somewhere in range where it can store whatever comes out of the keylogger you have planted. At the end of the diplomatic party, you stroll out with the smartphone, leaving the wifi adapter in place for the next time you're nearby.

[citation][nom]JRJ79[/nom]The wifi scenario is: you're targeting a desktop to which you have physical access, but which has only wired networking. You are carrying the cufflink and. of course, your smartphone. (In this case, probably an Android or a heavily jailbroken iPhone, not a standard issue iPhone). You have full control over the computer and the encryption is broken, but you need to get a continuing data stream out of it. So you make it wifi enabled (and give it a hidden-SSID accesspoint setup) and leave the smartphone somewhere in range where it can store whatever comes out of the keylogger you have planted. At the end of the diplomatic party, you stroll out with the smartphone, leaving the wifi adapter in place for the next time you're nearby.[/citation]
Ah Ha! Thanks for clearing that up.

Wouldn't a Bluetooth be a simpler or at least more useful solution?

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
the actual chip used in a 2 port hub is actually pretty small

they sell wifi adapters that are pretty much the size of the USB port + 2-3mm sticking out, and they also make flash drives like that and the components are pretty thin (thin enough for you to actually buy the tiny flash drive, then stuff the actual chip for the USB hub and the wifi card into it's casing, then get some cheap material to make it look like a cufflink)

overall, it is just an item that cost about $5 to make and then has an insane price markup.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]benji720[/nom]$250 for 2GB? I'd rather get cheap cufflinks at ross and tape a flash drive to my leg or something.[/citation]

I can already see you trying to steal data with you leg stretched up to an USB port.
Classy move, mate.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]boltimuss[/nom]Who wears cufflinks anymore?[/citation]

Anyone with a bit of class does.
Hang around upper management lounges and they are basically a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.