Brother Control Center not working

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spideyplox

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
When I try to open control center 3 it just shows a blank white image with the outline shape of CC3. If i right click on it I see a movie not loaded message. I know that it requires adobe flash to function, which I have but I don't know if it's configured properly. I tried looking through flash settings and internet options in control panel to see if maybe active x is being blocked but after spending several hours trying all kinds of things and googling Ive found nothing that helps.

I should note that it was working fine until I completely reset windows due to another problem.

OS is windows 10 64

any ideas would be appreciated.

Guy_1_

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

Guy_1_

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
Delete the Microsoft Update KB3119147 as there is a conflict with Adobe Flash and the Control Center 3 Applet. Go to: Control Panel - Program Features and click on Microsoft Updates. Find KB3119147 and right click on the file. On the drop down menu click delete. Be patient as the file has to be found on your computer. Once deleted, reboot your computer and the click on your Brother Utilities Icon to open Control Center 3. The utility will open and everything will be functioning. Thank you Benjaminpal for helping me to find the solution.

bv_ron

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015

bv_ron

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015
Hey Jim,
Great, thanks a lot! I spent half the night with virus checks, re-boots, uninstalls & re-intallations etc. until I found your easy solution.

Best regards,
Ron

frillyhilly

Honorable
Dec 20, 2015
Hi, Thanks for the registry update - it works perfectly. We did a shutdown before we tested it, just to be on the safe side.

If , like me, you are a bit cautious about delving into things like the registry, then you may find the following links helpful:
I found a web page which tells you how to use the registry:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/learn-how-use-windows-registry-editor-regedit-one-easy-lesson.htm

and how to make a safe copy of the registry before you change it:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/learn-how-use-windows-registry-editor-regedit-one-easy-lesson.htm#Backup

Thanks again, this thread has been really helpful

pgomez

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015

I checked for that update: I don't have it. I have Windows 7 (x64), but I'm ok with my workaround.

Putera_1

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015

Eddie_NL

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
Just logged in to give an extra thumbs up for the solution! I went back to the classic skin. IMHO it's just a small price to pay, since all the options are still there. Thanks again.

Harry53

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016

This happens during the last update from Adobe Flash. The next page is in Dutch. You have to change the setting in Classic mode, instead in Modern Mode.
First complete logout of Control Centre3. Download the link (in Dutch: Klik hier om het hulpprogramma te downloaden".
Run the downloaded file. Restart Control Centre 3 (or just reboot the pc), and you have Control Centre 3 again, but in Classic Mode.
Here the Dutch page, with the link:
http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=nl&lang=nl&prod=mfc9450cdn_all&faqid=faq00100228_000

lindamac2911

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016

Hi there
Your above solution works, but I have had to uninstall KB3119147 about 10 times which always solves the problem but it keeps happening.
It has now happened again a couple of days ago but now I CANNOT find KB3119147 in Installed Updates to uninstall!!
Do you have any tips on fixing this if I cannot locate KB3119147??
Thank you

lindamac2911

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016

Hi there
Your above solution works, but I have had to uninstall KB3119147 about 10 times which always solves the problem but it keeps happening.
It has now happened again a couple of days ago but now I CANNOT find KB3119147 in Installed Updates to uninstall!!
Do you have any tips on fixing this if I cannot locate KB3119147??
Thank you

Pythog

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
Hi lindamac2911,
Look for KB3132372 which is also a Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player (newer) "blanking" Control Center 3.
Prevent reinstall after removal by using the wushowhide.diagcab from Microsoft (details and download link here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930).
This is how I solved the exact issue.

rayshand

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

Thanks for this quickest solution (I believe) above although in Dutch (nothing major). I had to click translate the page just to be sure what I am downloading. Downloaded it and installed and it solved the problem the quickest for me for now. only on the squary classic bluish style vs yellow interface. But all is well for now until Brother finds a fix. I think adobe 20x update caused this. I still have a pc that runs on adobe 19x and still no issues with modern yellow interface. Thanks harry53.

Summary:
Basically, above link does it all for you to convert modern interface to classic without editing registry. It so much a quickfix from brother. This is probably the first time I had not done any major research on a problem such as this. Hope everyone tries this first before editing registry as above.

alfredz

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
I got the exact same issue, been trying everything I can think of. Re-installed it as well. It must be some kind of incompatibility with Win 10, but there is no later version available from Brother

zpanda1

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

This has worked for me and was so easy to do! Thank you so much. I had tried everything I could find and this is the only thing that worked!

pluimpje

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
I bet the outline shape of the control center is upside down and the inside of the drawing is white.. It has nothing to do with java but with adobe flash player.

The solution is to uninstall adobe flash player program. https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html and reboot. I can recreate the whole thing over and over with a brother MFC490CW and vista and adobe flash player 20.0.0.228 (i told brother customer service about the solution but i have to send it to them still). Where control center needed flash player 8 in the past it is now conflicting with control center. If you still need flash player you can still install the plugin, the plugin will not affect control center.

If you uninstall adobe flash player it will say that a program needs to close before proceeding. (the open file belongs to brother control center). I you proceed with the uninstall of flash player without closing control center and reboot the control center is still messed up, Thats why i have given you the link to download the flash player uninstaller. Close control center before proceeding if it is still present in your task bar.

Karl

Old_MCP-Dude

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016

I had the same problem tonight, here is what I found that solved the problem: http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=hk&lang=en&prod=mfc440cn_all&faqid=faq00100228_000

XzibitWar

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016

Hey ya.

This workede very well for me.

Running Windows 10 Pro 64Bit :)

vbconz

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

Windows fax and scan is cripple ware.

Brother CC3 allows you to:

• Scan to email with one button push - not scan to disk, choose file then send to email
    Scan to email scanned as PDF not jpg or bmp
    Push button scanning from printer
    Remote printing from printer
    Programmable buttons to choose what happens when you push a printer button.
Brothers dumping of CC3 is nuts - just finished with a client, same problem as above - who is now buying a CANNON printer as it will do what he wants in windows 10.

The registry key fix to classicSkin works on Win 10, 64bit BUT!!!
If you go to do an scan to email the classic window halves in size, along with content after the job is finished.
If you go to preferences and change scan preferences the window halves in size but the content doesn't.
Only fix is to quit CC3 and restart it.

Kriss_

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016

Thank you, this worked

Bizzanks

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016
I also found a website that directs you to the Brother support page that has the quick fix for this problem. This is good if you are leery about manually changing the registry. I used it and it worked perfectly. Here is the link:

https://itsolutionsblog.net/controlcenter-3-opens-up-with-a-empty-blank-screen/

lindamac2911

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016

Hi there
Thanks for the above fix, it did work for about 4 times or so, but now the same problem has started again as in not able to open CC3, I looked again for KB3132372 to uninstall but this has now vanished from Installed Updates (just like KB3119147 disappeared).
Is there another update I need to uninstall that u know of?
Its slowly driving me insane lol
I tried your fix to prevent reinstall as you suggested above but it states "" Does not work with my version of Windows".
Thank you