Question Brother Printer Firmware Update

SeaJay68

Reputable
Jul 30, 2021
Hi all

I know not to update the Firmware on my Brother HL-L3230CDW laser printer (or I'll be stuck with buying expensive toner as compared to cheaper compatibles), but I recently uninstalled the printer and now I have to reinstall drivers etc.

The trouble, is there are a few software updates I think I need but not sure if they have the Firmware driver bundled in them. I've installed the default driver and the Brother iPrint&Scan software and as far as I know, everything works.

But can I install the following two optional software packages, does anyone know if they are bundled with the dreaded Firmware? The only place I can find the Firmware software is on the Brother website, but I wanted to make sure, if possible:

"PC Application - Software Update Notification"
"Device -" (no other info other than 'Device')

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

jaydean

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2016
Hi Seajay
The compatible toner cartridges for this model printer are now fine with all firmware updates. The earlier version toners had an active chip powered by a tiny battery. The problem with these older toners was that the printer could detect voltage differences between each cartridge and in turn rendered them as undetected. The new passive chips on these toners have overcome this issue and have proven to work perfectly even with the very latest firmware updates. I hope this helps.