Question Brought a PSU with UK power cable in India.

vinitskr

Honorable
Jun 16, 2015
Hi guys I just today brought a Corsair CX 550W PSU for my new gaming PC in India. But later I found out that the power cable supplied with the PSU is of UK wall socket type which is incompatible with Indian wall sockets and also my UPS APC BX 1100c IN. I will connect the PSU to the UPS rather than a wall socket directly. My friend told me to buy a convertor. The current supplied here at my place is 220 or 230 Volts AC don't know exactly. The cable that came with my PSU mentions 13amps. Kindly advice me to buy an appropriate UK to Indian socket convertor like how much amps should I look for the convertor or other factors to protect my PC and the house itself.
Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need an image for the wall socket in your house/UPS. In India, there are a number of sockets in use. In fact there are homes that use the UK 3 prong power socket as well, which is why I've asked for an image of the back of the UPS and your wall socket. Mind you, if your wall socket is only 2 pin, please be advised that it does not have grounding on it, which can and will be detrimental to your system.

FYI, you should be on a 230v power grid, unless the standards have changed.

Reactions: vinitskr

vinitskr

Honorable
Jun 16, 2015
We're going to need an image for the wall socket in your house/UPS. In India, there are a number of sockets in use. In fact there are homes that use the UK 3 prong power socket as well, which is why I've asked for an image of the back of the UPS and your wall socket. Mind you, if your wall socket is only 2 pin, please be advised that it does not have grounding on it, which can and will be detrimental to your system.

FYI, you should be on a 230v power grid, unless the standards have changed.
First of all how do I share an image ?
Second my wall socket is 3 pin an well grounded. I'll plug the PSU to the following UPS in the link I shared.
https://www.apc.com/shop/in/en/prod...out-auto-shutdown-software-India/P-BX1100C-IN

vinitskr

Honorable
Jun 16, 2015

vinitskr

Honorable
Jun 16, 2015
A power cable can be found anywhere, a water cooker or fryer uses the same exact cable as psu's do, as do many electric apparatuses maybe it would be easier to just get one of those? or buy one in store?
The cable which came with the PSU is 13amps rated at the PSU input current rating stated as 10A-5A I don't understand this much. Can cables rated for 5 amps be used with this PSU ? That's my question also UK to India socket convertors are easily available at my place too.
My simple question is should I look at the Amps rating while buying the cable or a convertor ?
I'm sorry if I sound too dumb but I don't understand these electrical concepts much.

vinitskr

Honorable
Jun 16, 2015
No idea on that one, all i can say is that one of my friends is safely running his pc from a cable we got from a simple water cooker for quite a while now :)
Right now I only have the PSU and the case so I tested the PSU with my monitors power cable and it works. The fan started to spin at low speeds though. I used it with a paper clip. Thanks all you for the help 😊 you guys are 💯❤️.

Reactions: Quanticriver
If you connect the power cable to your house with only 110V, it is rated with 10A max., if you connect it to 220V, it´s only 5A max.. Both would be rated at the same max. power of 1100Watt.

That value is only important if you would be in a place which has a power grid at 110V. Since you have 220V, a 5A rated cable will do. But still the more the better.

The fuses are an extra safety feature if the PSU is failing the fuse would prevent damage -> over current protection. But your PSU has this feature integrated and is usually not necessary.

Last edited: