Browser opens by itself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heda97

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016
Hi, so I’m on Windows 10, up to date. So I was playing assasins creed origins yesterday and my game kept minimizing because Microsoft edge decided to keep opening by it self. It keeps doing it even after I restarted the computer, not only that but sometimes it will open multiple windows simultaneously. Also, the weird part is that Chorme is also doing the same thing, it doesn’t open on its own. But once I open it manually, multiple windows keep appearing making searching anything impossible. This happens periodically, sometimes for an hour or 2 I can use my computer peacefully, but randomly both the browsers act up. There is no page the browser links to, it just open up on its standard homepage.

I have searched the entire computer using Avira and nothing seems out of order.

I also just removed edge as my default browser, making chrome default instead. Now Chorme keeps opening itself and keeps closing the current page and opening a new once at once. Making using it impossible.

Any idea what this could be? Thanks!

Solution
ADWCleaner...

something else from Microsoft web page:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-msedge/ms-edge-browser-opens-itself-and-does-a-search/afce4d3f-d659-4924-a90a-8b26d229672e?auth=1

Please perform the methods below and check which one resolves the issue.

Method 1: Resetting Microsoft Edge.
Click the ellipsis (...) in the upper right corner of the Edge window, then choose Settings.
Under Clear browsing data, click Choose what to clear and then click Show more.
Select all the data types, then click Clear.
Restart your PC.

Method 2: Clearing Active AppData.
Close Microsoft Edge.
Open the File Explorer and paste the following to the address bar...

Heda97

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016
Just tried those, and they found nothing either unfortunately. I changed the default browser back to Microsoft edge, but then changed the name of the Microsoft edge local file to make it unreadable. I think this has stopped the random browser opening (since it’s seemingly only targeting the default browser, which can no long be read). However I’m still concerned there’s some virus underneath it all, that I just can’t seem to find.

ADWCleaner...

something else from Microsoft web page:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-msedge/ms-edge-browser-opens-itself-and-does-a-search/afce4d3f-d659-4924-a90a-8b26d229672e?auth=1

Please perform the methods below and check which one resolves the issue.

Method 1: Resetting Microsoft Edge.
Click the ellipsis (...) in the upper right corner of the Edge window, then choose Settings.
Under Clear browsing data, click Choose what to clear and then click Show more.
Select all the data types, then click Clear.
Restart your PC.

Method 2: Clearing Active AppData.
Close Microsoft Edge.
Open the File Explorer and paste the following to the address bar: C:\Users\<users>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_xxxxxx\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Recovery\Active
Delete everything in the directory.
Restart your PC.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.