browsers won't work

klwjew

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
I have an hp pavilion desktop with 8G ram and at least 400 G left on hard drive. Each time I click any of the browsers, I get the blue spinning circle. When the browser comes up, I click on any tab and it starts again. I can't do anything on it. I ran mcafee, I ran defender, I ran CCleaner, nothing shows up. I ran a diagnostics test and everything passes. Any ideas?

Solution

I did stop the memtest. I booted and went to diagnostics. It ran the tests and everything passed. It gave me an option to restore to a previous point, which I did. I am currently typing on it. I do not know if that will last, as this has happened before where the pc just decided to work. Mostly it doesn't. Anything further I can do? Thank you...

klwjew

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
actually, it happens with all programs. It is getting really frustrating. I am thinking some kind of hardware issue.

even when I click the start menu. I have been getting an error that won't even display CTL ALT Delete. and now I see some error that says Intel RST service is not running, but when I click on it, the spinning circle.

klwjew

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013

I am still running memtest. I did it in 3 blocks, 2 of 2048K and one of remaining memory. When I tried to do one block, it would not run. I started it about 10pm and it is still running in 3 tests and appears to be half done and it is almost 8am. I have also disabled most start programs. I will let you know the results. So far, 0% error

technoboyhrishi

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
its SATA port problem probably that some times programs works sluggish so do hard disk test then check what happens

It happens with me due to motherboard's bad SATA port when i interchange it it will works great

klwjew

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
I just checked memtest and now it is about half done. This has been since last night. Everything is at a snail's pace and I can't open browsers. Could it be the hard drive?

technoboyhrishi

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

dude have you checked for chkdsk utility will check for bad sectors which could create such problems

popatim

Titan
yes its probably the hard drive. What you describe, including the ctrl-alt-del error, is very typical of what happens when something hits a bad sector. HP have a built in diagnostic utility that you can access during bootup. Typically you press F9

klwjew

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013

I did stop the memtest. I booted and went to diagnostics. It ran the tests and everything passed. It gave me an option to restore to a previous point, which I did. I am currently typing on it. I do not know if that will last, as this has happened before where the pc just decided to work. Mostly it doesn't. Anything further I can do? Thank you so much for the suggestions everyone!!

Solution

tpirog

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
Also, run "SFC /SCANNOW" in an elevated command promt.

Temp File Cleaner can be useful also.

At the point where all else faile, you made need to reinstall your OS. Sometimes you just got to bite the bullet.

klwjew

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013

Thanks. I will keep these 2 suggestions and if the pc starts acting weird, that is what I will try. I appreciate the info!

tpirog

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
We run a computer repair and IT shop in the Chicago suburbs and these are a couple of things that usually help a great deal when computers start to misbehave and hardware has been eliminated as the culprit.

Good luck! :D