BSOD 24 during Win 7 installation in a new HDD

Monike

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
I am trying to install Win 7 in a new HDD and after the installation files are done, I always get a BSOD # 24. It is a virgin 1T HDD. I'll appreciate any fixing you can give me.

I have tested the RAM with 12 passes without an error. I just upgraded the video card to one with 1Gb memory. I passed the installation files to a DVD thinking that could be a CD defect.

I am using XP in other HDD and the installation run smoothly, so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Do you have any suggestions? Thank you!

Solution
bugcheck 0x24 is a filesystem bugcheck, check your cables to your disk drive or change then to a different SATA port. If that fails I would turn off write caching to your new hard drive and see if the problem goes away.
what your hardware set up?? is the sata ports set to achi mode?? if it an amd mb did you use the f6 and install amd chipset drivers. is the new harddrive on intel or amd sata port. most 3 party sata ports are for data drives. try using one dimm to see if it a dimm issue. also if there onboard video try using that to see if it a hardware error. in the bios set your ram speed using xmp profile.

bazanella

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
i don't know if that is the case, but a stable config (overclocked?) running an 32 bit OS wouldn't necessarily be stable if running a 64 bit OS. Which OS did you have working and what are you trying to install?

Monike

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
I am sorry that I didn't receive any communication about your questions and suggestions before. Thank you so much for your help. Now, let me tell you, because still I am fighting with this issue. John, I have changed the SATA cable to every of the 6 ports that I have, and I checked the disks without any bug report.

Bazanella, I have a 64 system, but it's not overclocked. I got Win 7 Home Premium x64 installed before, and it was working fine for a lot of time. Suddenly, I began to have all kind of BSODs. I became crazy with this problem, and decided to make a new clean installation. God! I lost all my files, and the installation didn't go through. I installed Win XP x32 without any problem, and until now, I have been continue trying to go back to 7. I though that it was a problem of the CD installation, and downloaded the system from online. I tried with Vista x32 to see if it was easier. It run well from XP, but crashed after the first restart, and now I get a blue roll back windows that says the installation was not successful every time I restart the PC. I checked the RAM and turned down all its values, to see if that works. Nothing!

Smorizio, I have the hardware in SATA mode. This are the specs:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, 2.61 GHz 2 GB RAM
Manufacturer: BIOSTAR
Model: N61PB-M2S
Processor: Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 2 AMD ~2611 Mhz
BIOS: Phoenix LTD 6.00 PG, 6/16/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.5
No Forced Hardware

I have the actual OS (XP) in a Maxtor 5A320J0 with 301.68 GB, and I am trying to install the new OS in a Western model WD1002FBYS-02A6B SCSI with 1TB. I have tried to installed it with the OS HD connected and with only the blank HDD. The BSOD comes anyway. The last stop I got was 3B from win32k.sys.

I really don't know what else to do.

Monike

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
Hi John,

I can't have memories jumps, because the BSOD happens before booting, when I am in the middle of the installation. Always happens just after the files' copy finishes. Using XP, which is where I am now, I have no BSODs.

I just tried to install Vista from the desktop an freezes after a few seconds. This is so upsetting!

Monike

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

I am using XP x32 now, and want to install 7 x64. I tried to install vista x32 from the desktop to see if the switch was easier, but it freezes during the system upgrade downloading. Some suggestion? Ah, and I'm not overclocking.