BSOD 30 seconds into GTA V

sammy-a

Reputable
May 6, 2015
Hello everyone

I have started to get Blue screens when playing GTA V. I have not made any hardware or software changes. 1 week into release it was fine, then i started getting Blue screens, I randomly searched around did chkdsk /f /r and its worked for the past 2 weeks. It started again today, and I did the same thing but it isn't working, I also system restored to a few days ago when I downloaded something, nothing. I've hit a wall and need your help, I'm not great with the software side of computers.
Here is a Screenshot of the bluescreen: http://imgur.com/HEyH3tJ

Thanks in advance

Solution
you have a bad memory address being passed to win32k.sys
This file is often attacked by malware.

I would start by running cmd.exe as an admin, then run
sfc.exe /scannow
and confirm any corruptions have been fixed.
if corruptions could not be fixed, and you have windows 8 then run
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
if you have windows 7, you have to repair files with a CD image.

after you make the repair, you would run malwarebytes to attempt to find out what did the corruptions.

if no errors are detected, you would update the BIOS, or reset it to defaults and run memtest86 on its own boot image to test your system memory.

if everything works as expected, then you have to look for a device driver that is corrupting...
you have a bad memory address being passed to win32k.sys
This file is often attacked by malware.

I would start by running cmd.exe as an admin, then run
sfc.exe /scannow
and confirm any corruptions have been fixed.
if corruptions could not be fixed, and you have windows 8 then run
if you have windows 7, you have to repair files with a CD image.

after you make the repair, you would run malwarebytes to attempt to find out what did the corruptions.

if no errors are detected, you would update the BIOS, or reset it to defaults and run memtest86 on its own boot image to test your system memory.

if everything works as expected, then you have to look for a device driver that is corrupting system memory. This takes some effort so you would first want to update any drivers from your machine vendors website first.

if you still have bugchecks, you could provide the actual memory dump file from c:\windows\minidmp directory and put them on a server and post a link.
(very hard to figure out memory corruption bugs with a minidump)

Solution

sammy-a

Reputable
May 6, 2015
Ok, so I just did the sfc.exe/scannow and it said corruptions were found but only some were fixed or something like that. So I assume I have to repair with a "CD image" help me please i do not have a clue what is CD image?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3UJPX3_WMadZjg3cnhsYWY1cmc/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3UJPX3_WMadX2JKbnRTaktiQXM/view?usp=sharing
here are the two blue screens, I haven't tried opening any game since

sfc.exe /scannow tends to fix "random" corruption problems caused by various reasons. It just restores a hidden backup copy of a file. It often can not fix problems that are caused by hacker software, malware/rootkits/and viruses. These tend to modify the back up copy of the files. With windows 8 they added additional options to the dism.exe command to allow you to get clean copies of the files from microsoft update servers. Windows 7 you have to have a windows 7 CD to do the repair or go back to a earlier restore point. Malware tends to delete the restore points to prevent you from removing the malware.

here is the windows 8.x command to get fixed files from microsoft servers.
start cmd.exe as an admin then run

you should also do a malwarebytes scan, often malware will undo fixes that sfc.exe /scannow makes
and on the next boot of your machine it breaks again. I generally recommend just rebooting your machine and running the sfc.exe check again to confirm the files remain fixed.

sammy-a

Reputable
May 6, 2015

The problem came back today. (I can add the new dump file if you want) I've done the malwarebytes scan and nothing showed up, If you are sure that its a Malware Problem I can Re-install my Windows 7. But I would rather not.
It was fine and I've probably played 10 hours of GTA since.
http://gyazo.com/56877e1b49162d87228f2a5d5e4a3198 (what does this mean?)

the system file checker will try to repair files by getting the hidden backup copy. Problem is malware and various hacking components are smart enough to modify the hidden backup copy also. For windows 7 you have to repair the files using a windows 7 install /repair image. Windows 8 just added a option to fix it through the internet.
You can also look at the log file and see what file is corrupted and restore it.
the problem with the sfc.exe command is that malware just undoes the fix and you are back where you started on the next boot of the system. On the next boot drivers are copied from the hidden driver store. The malware does not have to even be on your system for this to happen. look at the log and see if you can figure out what the missing/corrupted files were.

sammy-a

Reputable
May 6, 2015

I got another bluescreen today, but I'm sure it was different. Whats 1 thing I can do that will 100% fix this. When I say I can re-install windows, I mean a full re-install and not a restore point. If that will 100% fix the problems then I'll do it

re install the OS is generally just not a fix. It can introduce new problems and change the conditions that allow you to track down the current problem.

when you run the system file checker does it indicate that your files are getting corrupted? Then you run the dism.exe command and it fixes them. If you then reboot and run the sfc.exe command again are they corrupted again?

if you have run and passed memtest86 then you would change your memory dump type to kernel memory dump, and then run cmd.exe as an admin and run
verifier.exe /standard /all
this will make windows check drivers for common programming problems and force a bugchek if it find some. The kernel memory dump will save extra debugging info to help track down the causes of problems.

use verifier.exe /reset
to turn off verifier functions when you are done testing.

put your memory dump on a server and post a link.

sammy-a

Reputable
May 6, 2015
Sorry but what is memtest86 and how do I run it? what is memory dump and where do I find it? I really need step-by-step If you don't mind I'm getting very overwhelmed. Is "verifier.exe /standard / all" a CMD Command?
I Also just got a blue screen running nothing but a live-stream?
Things are getting worse and I don't know why, In the last year I haven't downloaded anything sceptical, not made any changes to my computer at all.

Update the Live-stream blue screen I was talking about it occurring alot and I'm getting very worried

cmd.exe is the windows command line interpreter, you will want to run it as admin rights
verifier.exe is a command line program that you can run that runs under the interpreter.
this program is used to tell windows to do extra device driver checking and checks drivers for common programming mistakes.
-------
memtest86 is a third party utility that runs on its own boot image and is used to test your systems memory without having windows involved. google memtest86 to find a copy and instructions on how to set it up and run it.
------
how to change your memory dump type: you can google for this or here is a useful link:
https://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/111474.aspx
for this type of problem you should pick a kernel memory dump.
but be sure to reboot after you make the change to get them to take effect.
also note the default location of the kernel memory dump file will be C:\windows\memory.dmp

most likely you already have some minidumps that would be useful to take a look at. They will be located at
c:\windows\minidump\ and will have a filename that has a .dmp file extension.
You would copy these files to a server like microsoft onedrive or mediafire, make the files public and post a link to the file.
sometimes you can run automated tools like whocrashed.exe or bluescreenview and figure out the name of a bad driver.
bluescreenview: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
whocrashed:http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

otherwise you have to have someone take a look at your .dmp file with a windows debugger.

you also have what looks like 2 very old Toshiba Bluetooth Drivers on your system, You should confirm you want them. (you have an asus motherboard, I guess you could have toshiba bluetooth devices.)
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\tosporte.sys Tue Jun 16 03:48:47 2009
\SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\tosrfcom.sys Sun Nov 28 18:44:26 2010

you also should check to make sure your are getting windows updates applied to your system.

second bugcheck was called by the CPU because of a read error from processor 6 memory bank 0. The system uptime was over a hour, it tends to indicate overheating. CPU did not look overclocked.
Processor Version AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
Processor Voltage 8dh - 1.3V
External Clock 200MHz
Max Speed 4000MHz
Current Speed 4000MHz

-------
give this a shot and see if your system runs better.
I hope the usb was a direct cause of the bad data in memory, otherwise you have to look for another cause but will still need to do the stuff listed below. I will take a look at a few other memory dumps to see if I see something more useful.

I looked at the most current bugcheck, it was a usb driver releasing kernel memory that it did not currently own.

this could be a driver bug in a custom usb driver like:
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\AppleCharger.sys Tue Nov 01 19:46:00 2011
but it could be any other driver corrupting memory. it can also be a BIOS bug or a CPU chipset driver bug.

I would start by going to http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A97_LE_R20/HelpDesk_Download/
and installing the new BIOS update to get the USB fixes. install the cpu chipset drivers update and the asmedia usb 3.0 drivers update. Then I would remove
or update applecharger.sys (2011 file date).

you will also need to update your old network driver from 2011.
Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\Rt64win7.sys Tue Aug 23 06:55:41 2011
get the current version here:http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

the old network driver tends to mess up virus scanners and nvidia GPU that use streaming. (cause problems with the streaming)
Also causes bugs in online games.

machine info:

BIOS Version 1903
BIOS Release Date 07/11/2013

Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Product M5A97 LE R2.0
Version Rev 1.xx

sammy-a

Reputable
May 6, 2015
I got the Chipset thingy and the realtek thingy. Took my apple charger out and done another system file checker. I'm gonna do another malwarebytes scan and try to play GTA (my most demanding online game)

Update: GTA Ran for 10 mins so far. (Used to crash 10 seconds in) So far so good

sammy-a

Reputable
May 6, 2015
I got another blue screen and its getting really frustrating, shall I just do more (sfc.exe) scans and chkdsk's? I'm getting quite harrased and just want to get a new OS in the hope it'll work

all I can do look at memory dumps, you can try and turn on driver checking and make the memory dump store more debug info to help isolate the root cause of the problem.

you would: change the memory dump type to kernel or full memory dump:
https://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/111474.aspx

then you would run cmd.exe as an admin and run the command
verifier.exe /standard /all

then shutdown your system and reboot. If the system finds any driver bugs it will bugcheck the system and name the driver.
Or you would then run your game and wait for the next bugcheck, the updated kernel memory dump will contain a lot more info than a minidump.
it will store the info in a file: c:\windows\memory.dmp it will be much larger but copy it to a server an post a link.

note: to turn off the extra driver checking use
verifier.exe /reset

you should also provide info about your various hardware. (are you running a SSD? maybe one with old firmware installed)

if running the SFC.exe is fixing corruptions then also provide a copy of the log file it generates. It will name the file that is being fixed and sometimes it will give a idea to what kind of problem your system is having.
I think the default location of the log is C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

here is a link that explains some more options:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

you have some older drivers installed but I am not sure that is your problem. I would think it might be a overheating problem or maybe a BIOS problem.
Your BIOS is 5 or 6 versions out of date. I would pick up the current version and see if your system works better.
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A97_LE_R20/HelpDesk_Download/
----
you got a bugcheck 0x124 called by the CPU because of a error reading cache memory inside the cpu.
processor 7 cache memory bank 1

system was up for almost 6 hours

machine info:
BIOS Release Date 07/11/2013
BIOS Version 1903

Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Product M5A97 LE R2.0
Version Rev 1.xx

looks like you are still running some old drivers:
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\tosporte.sys Tue Jun 16 03:48:47 2009
\SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\tosrfcom.sys Sun Nov 28 18:44:26 2010

norton from 2011, i would remove it.
\SystemRoot\system32\drivers\NISx64\1309010.00E\SYMDS64.SYS Mon May 16 15:15:03 2011
\SystemRoot\system32\drivers\NISx64\1309010.00E\SYMEFA64.SYS Fri May 18 18:29:56 2012
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\SYMEVENT64x86.SYS Tue Nov 22 10:30:48 2011
\SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NISx64\1309010.00E\SYMNETS.SYS Sat Nov 12 13:11:53 2011

i would remove:
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\AppleCharger.sys Tue Nov 01 19:46:00 2011

sammy-a

Reputable
May 6, 2015
How do I update the bios, I've downloaded the folder and its .CAP
"you got a bugcheck 0x124 called by the CPU because of a error reading cache memory inside the cpu.
processor 7 cache memory bank 1" What does this mean and how do i fix it.
I uninstalled Norton and I cant find those files, I assume thats gone.

you will have to read the manual for your motherboard to find out what utility it uses to update the BIOS.

the bugcheck code and cause just means it is not likely to be caused by a windows driver. Just more likely a problem in BIOS that would be resolved via a BIOS update.

sometimes with norton you have to go to their website and use their special removal tool to make sure their software is removed.

asus has the older versions of the BIOS on the websites. You would not need to back up your copy unless you expect not to be able to get to their website.