BSOD: A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor....

Status
Not open for further replies.

I3ioHazard

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
I have been getting this BSOD constantly and I have no idea what's causing it. It happens very randomly no matter what I'm doing whether it's running a game or browsing the internet. When it does, my computer freezes and 10 seconds later the blue screen appears saying "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval".

Here are my system specs:
CPU: i5 2500k @ 3.3 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8GB (2x 4GB)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-M Pro
GPU: GeForce GTX 570
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1 TB

Thank you for reading and I hope you can help me find the issue.

Alucard679

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
do you have your 2500k overclocked? I heard this error is common if it isn't stable. Most people if I recall correctly fixed this error by updating the bios to the latest drivers. Try doing that and see if that doesn't fix your problem.

Alucard679

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Might be a faulty chip.. Try contacting Intel support about it and give them the error code. They might be able to send you a fix to install of some sorts. If by some slim chance the chip is just pooping out are you still able to exchange it to your retailer or have a warranty on it? I highly doubt that could be the case though. But the drivers should of worked. Weird, I would still give Intel support a call and just check.

I3ioHazard

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
I bought it from Newegg with a warranty on it. I think I can RMA it if it's just a faulty CPU. I'll call Intel support like you said and see what to do. Thanks for the help!

Alucard679

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Yea if it's a faulty chip then it's covered in the warranty. Also you should have a 30 day period to return anything and get a replacement. Hopefully the support team can have a fix for you. If not then really the only other thing I could suggest to you is RMA it like you said.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

cgoose117

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

Did you find a solution to your problem?
The exact same thing is happening to me and i have almost the same build as you except a different psu and hdd and a geforce 560ti

I just got my processor replaced and i still have the problem... one thing that i noticed is a good test for the problem is if you go into the bios and select the high performance power option it will BSOD 9/10 times.

Please let me know if you were able to find a fix for this issue!

I3ioHazard

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
I'm not sure if this was the solution, but I think it was my copy of Windows 7 that was the problem. A year ago, back when this fiasco was happening, I soon got a completely different, unrelated blue screen every time my computer went to boot up Windows. I was told that I had purchased a bad copy of Windows 7. I cleared my hard drive and installed a new copy of Windows, and was able to use my computer again. Surprisingly, this blue screen also stopped occurring. That was over a year ago and I haven't seen either blue screen since.

davidgermain

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
As with all blue screen related issues, you need to find out if it hardware or software. So as has been stated before run mem86 from a bootable USB stick or CDROM. This will test the memory architecture and the CPU.
This will narrow down the issue, as least you can rule out or rule in the CPU/Memory.

suemccartin

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I'm going through this on a fresh win 7 install on a new box I just built. I'm at the latest bios. What's frustrating with this one is the solution seems to be different on each system. I have a gigabyte 990FX ud5 and a amd 9370 cpu. My old windows setup was just a quad core 2.8 the new one is a 8 core 4.4 ghz cpu. It will run games and test beds for hours but the second I go into a browser it takes a dump. I was skimming the forums looking for clues and came across somebody saying power management was the solution on his issues. I know intel has something like "cool and quiet" available in the amd motherboards so perhaps try shutting that off in your bios and if your motherboard setup disk loaded any sort of "green" anything try uninstalling or shutting that down too. I fiddled a little this morning and it ran longer than ever and I'm hoping I go home tonight and we're still humming along, unfortunately I can't call the dog and ask him if the box is still running. It would sort of make sense, if the cool and quiet is throttling down the cpu...I can see it. Games and test beds are multi-threaded and I would "guess" the code in the cool and quiet would see the load on the cpu and not kick in.

Status
Not open for further replies.