Question BSOD after all attempts to fix

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GenericJim

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
I had a bsod occur on my new pc build after going through absolutely everything to attempt to get rid of them 2 weeks ago, was fine until today then occured again after finishing playing some games. i have a mini dump file here https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvu88rk0za9wnc3/120722-15031-01.dmp?dl=0
I dont really know what to do anymore because i built the thing and really dont have another 400 dollars to drive 190 miles to the closest microcenter to have them look at it.

GenericJim

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
I would assume that my bios time being 35 seconds would be an issue as it’s the newest stuff, but I guess that also could be the exact reason. I’m less worried about that and more worried about the bsods honestly

GenericJim

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
I would assume that my bios time being 35 seconds would be an issue as it’s the newest stuff, but I guess that also could be the exact reason. I’m less worried about that and more worried about the bsods honestly
On top of that. I don’t fully understand bios options, especially the boot section of it tbh.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Fair enough. I don't go in my bios either unless I have to.

Your bios isn't showing me anything in the dumps, it should tell me Motherboard name, bios version, ram, and what CPU you have. I know you say you have newest but it makes me wonder if there is a problem with it.

Had anymore bsod? if so, share dumps.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Most people don't want them

you can run this to force it but take the precautions I show.
obviously download win 11 instead of 10

it has nasty habit of causing a boot loop, hence precautions. You might be fine and it doesn't happen. I just like to be prepared
Its part of windows, it tests drivers, it just has a nasty habit of breaking windows.
It will cause a BSOD, if any drivers are bad. If it doesn't cause a BSOD in 12 hours, stop it as it will slow PC down.
Give me any dumps you get as a result.

GenericJim

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
I should probably go through doing memtest86 first;m, as I’ve done windows memory diagnostics but I have seen that it can miss a lot. After that if nothing shows I can try that, but if it ends up fresh installing windows wouldn’t that just end up in the same place as previously, not really knowing if windows messed up?

GenericJim

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
I mean if you have to do a fresh install, but yes. I will run it tonight and see if it comes up with anything, when running it it is okay to just start it and go to sleep correct?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes (I assume you mean Memtest?)

I don't ask people to run the verifer enough to know how often it ends in a loop. From memory the last few people have been fine.
I just don't like suggesting something that can break windows. Hence precautions.

GenericJim

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
yea memtest
the verifier ive read about, i just know that it can end with a fresh install of windows which with my luck would probably be the case, but if memtest doesnt come back with anything i can try it
i cant exactly tell if my pc is running at its full potential is my issue to know if something is running in the background incorectly
as i previous had an older build, it doesnt quite seem snappier or faster, and seems like benchmarks score slightly lower than most others ive seen. just makes me nervous, could be a placebo effect is all. hopefully we can get it all ironed out as the only decent pc store from me is a 3 hour drive.

GenericJim

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
i dont really have anything that isnt games and redownloadable software, just if i do reinstall windows i feel like all the troubleshooting would be for nothing because i would be right back at square one with new drivers that im not sure if they work or not ya know

GenericJim

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021

Colif

Win 11 Master

GenericJim

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
I assume it’s the same as xmp just for amd cpus. In simplest terms. But okay I started it. From my understanding will take a few hours so I will lay down now and check in the morning. Hopefully I get the golden 0 for now. Then wait to see if any crashes occur then will reseat everything and see again and if so will run driver verifier. Trial and error I suppose at this point

GenericJim

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
I assume it’s the same as xmp just for amd cpus. In simplest terms. But okay I started it. From my understanding will take a few hours so I will lay down now and check in the morning. Hopefully I get the golden 0 for now. Then wait to see if any crashes occur then will reseat everything and see again and if so will run driver verifier. Trial and error I suppose at this point
Will memtest close when done or just stay there till I get up?