Question BSOD after all attempts to fix

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GenericJim

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
I had a bsod occur on my new pc build after going through absolutely everything to attempt to get rid of them 2 weeks ago, was fine until today then occured again after finishing playing some games. i have a mini dump file here https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvu88rk0za9wnc3/120722-15031-01.dmp?dl=0
I dont really know what to do anymore because i built the thing and really dont have another 400 dollars to drive 190 miles to the closest microcenter to have them look at it.

Dec 11, 2022
bought an actual drive for windows 11, have checked memtest and clean boot
does the minidump not really give any info?

Jim,

I also have been seeing occasional, random, BSOD errors, usually "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT," almost always listed in "BlueScreenView" as being related to the driver, "ntoskrnl.exe."

Have you tried using WinDbg? After installing it, just go to C:\Windows\Minidump and double-click on a Minidump file. Then, click on the "analyze" link in WinDbg. Mine said something about a corrupt PTE (Page Table Entry).

As for the history of my problem, I purchased an HP All-in-One system about a year ago. At first, it ran just fine. Then, I decided to upgrade the RAM from 12 Gb to 32 Gb. Ever since installing the new RAM, I've had the BSOD problem. Although it might seem obvious that mine is a hardware issue, I can't really be sure of that. You see, the wonderful people at HP have denied me the ability to even SEE the "advanced BIOS" page. Apparently, there is some secret way to enter the BIOS, otherwise this page is hidden.

I can often go for about a week without getting one of these BSOD errors, but then sometimes they come almost back to back, and once I had to reinstall from a backup image.

Just to confuse matters for myself, at about the same time as the memory upgrade, I also set up a dual-boot arrangement, with Windows 11 and Linux Mint. Have you tried anything like that on your system?

As for running memtest86, you need to run it for at least 24 hours before you can say that it has "Passed." After a few runs, I eventually get numerous errors, although I haven't done any sort of analysis.

Arthur

GenericJim

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
1 hour per 8gb of ram to test

I don't actually know what it does at end. The instructions we have just shows how to make and run it. From what I can see it just stays on screen until you come back.
Well, I have 0 errors so far, the problem rn is that it’s been 8 hours and going. I only have 32 gb

GenericJim

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Jim,

I also have been seeing occasional, random, BSOD errors, usually "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT," almost always listed in "BlueScreenView" as being related to the driver, "ntoskrnl.exe."

Have you tried using WinDbg? After installing it, just go to C:\Windows\Minidump and double-click on a Minidump file. Then, click on the "analyze" link in WinDbg. Mine said something about a corrupt PTE (Page Table Entry).

As for the history of my problem, I purchased an HP All-in-One system about a year ago. At first, it ran just fine. Then, I decided to upgrade the RAM from 12 Gb to 32 Gb. Ever since installing the new RAM, I've had the BSOD problem. Although it might seem obvious that mine is a hardware issue, I can't really be sure of that. You see, the wonderful people at HP have denied me the ability to even SEE the "advanced BIOS" page. Apparently, there is some secret way to enter the BIOS, otherwise this page is hidden.

I can often go for about a week without getting one of these BSOD errors, but then sometimes they come almost back to back, and once I had to reinstall from a backup image.

Just to confuse matters for myself, at about the same time as the memory upgrade, I also set up a dual-boot arrangement, with Windows 11 and Linux Mint. Have you tried anything like that on your system?

As for running memtest86, you need to run it for at least 24 hours before you can say that it has "Passed." After a few runs, I eventually get numerous errors, although I haven't done any sort of analysis.

Arthur
No dual boot or anything. The pc is brand new. Have fresh installed windows 2 seperate times since building. Memtest ran all night until now with no errors.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i thought I suggested it, I would have said this - Run on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors

the only advantage to testing all sticks at once is if you don't have any errors, it saves time in the long run.
But if you do get errors, you can't tell which stick caused them. Its why I suggest 1 stick at a time.

GenericJim

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
i thought I suggested it, I would have said this - Run on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors

the only advantage to testing all sticks at once is if you don't have any errors, it saves time in the long run.
But if you do get errors, you can't tell which stick caused them. Its why I suggest 1 stick at a time.
i didnt get any errors at all

I recently built out a 7950X with B650E Aorus Master and 2x16GB Corsair 6200MTs CL36 RAM. I had instability/crash issues unti I enabled memory power down.
With AM3 systems, this setting is supposed to be disabled to help with stability/overclocking. Now it appears to be the opposite, at least with my particular set up. It could be related to running the kit in XMP mode since it doesn't have EXPO timings, but I'm chalking it up to immature BIOS, at least for now. I haven't started tweaking the memory timings yet.

The 7950X is an absolute beast! I'm getting a Cinebench R23 multi score of 38396, using the C-type Dark Rock TF 2 CPU cooler (a separate experiment).

TRENDING THREADS