[SOLVED] BSOD after CPU upgrade

Apr 23, 2020
I upgraded my CPU from an i3-4330 to an i7-4770. I also increased the memory from 8 GB to 16 GB. The PC has an ASUS Z87-A motherboard. I had some boot problems initially until I updated the BIOS, then things started to work. The next thing that happened was a BSOD after the PC had been running a couple of hours. I was monitoring the CPU temperature with an ASUS utility, and it was 34C. Once the BSOD happens, the PC tries to restart, it starts running chkdsk and then starts up Windows, and after a minute or two, BSOD re-occurs. If I interrupt this cycle and start Windows in safe mode, the PC will run OK. If I power down, then power back up, then Windows will run again and the PC will function correctly for another couple of hours, then the whole cycle repeats. I have used the trouble shooting tools in Control Panel and have not found any issues. I am not sure what else to do and would appreciate help.

Solution
You can certainly reinstall windows 7. Reinstalling the OS (win7 or 10) would be a good idea as any major upgrade can make Windows unstable if not reinstalled.
Apr 23, 2020
HI - the memory came as a kit with 2 memory modules in it. Same speed rating as old memory and well within the capability of both the motherboard and the CPU. The fact that the PC runs OK in safe mode suggests to me that there is an issue with some of the installed software, so I am thinking about uninstalling some applications that run at start up and see if that makes a difference. Is that a good idea? I was also thinking about reinstalling Windows. Now that Windows 7 is passed end-of-life, can I reinstall it? Or do I need to bite the bullet and upgrade to Windows 10? Thanks.....