Question BSOD after installing a graphics card? Issue with Memory?

SerjAngelo

Prominent
May 21, 2020
Hi, so I used to have the following setup:
Ryzen 5 2600x @ 3.8 Ghz
GeForce GTX 1070
DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 3000 MHz Aegis G.Skill
MSI B450 Gaming Plus
CoolerMaster V650S - 650w power supply,
and everything worked fine.

I then purchased an RTX 3070 card and it works fine and all, however on absolutely random occasions I seem to be getting BSODs now with random error codes.
The culprit appears to be the ntoskrnl.exe driver (not sure how to attach the window dump logs, but a screenshot from BlueScreen View is bellow) and from my research the issue appears to be coming from RAM. Thing is, the RAM is the same I used before and I've never had any issues with it before. I tried swapping the slots and all, but it keeps happening and I don't know what to do.

This can't be due to the graphics card, can it? Neither do I think it is the issue with the power supply, because I assume it would just randomly power down the pc rather than BSOD'ing me.
Also it happens randomly - mostly during gaming, but once even when idling on the desktop.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.
View: https://imgur.com/a/ossZTf9

Lutfij

Titan
Age of the PSU?

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? As for your GPU, what were you working with prior? Did you use DDU to remove all GPU drivers from your platform, before you dropped in the RTX3070?

Macovitch

Prominent
Feb 7, 2022
It may be due to power supply, upgrading cards at peak performance is ~50 Watt increase. If all else fails with drivers and bios, that could be the culprit.

SerjAngelo

Prominent
May 21, 2020
Age of the PSU?

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? As for your GPU, what were you working with prior? Did you use DDU to remove all GPU drivers from your platform, before you dropped in the RTX3070?
The BIOS is the latest version I could find - previous GPU was GTX 1070 and rather than doing DDU I've just updated the driver from GeForce experience. Should I try and re-do that?

It may be due to power supply, upgrading cards at peak performance is ~50 Watt increase. If all else fails with drivers and bios, that could be the culprit.
Very odd for an older power supply would cause BSODs.. It is quite a good model and RTX 3070 seems to be compatible with 650w power supplies.

SerjAngelo

Prominent
May 21, 2020
Did you use DDU to remove all GPU drivers from your platform, before you dropped in the RTX3070?
So I've tried DDU'ing the Nvidia drivers and reinstalling them from scratch - alas the issue still persists..
BTW the PSU is quite old, like 2016 old, but it worked flawlessly before. Can the issue really be due to it? I thought ntoskrnl.exe is mainly about the memory not being able to handle some drivers or something.

Macovitch

Prominent
Feb 7, 2022
So I've tried DDU'ing the Nvidia drivers and reinstalling them from scratch - alas the issue still persists..
BTW the PSU is quite old, like 2016 old, but it worked flawlessly before. Can the issue really be due to it? I thought ntoskrnl.exe is mainly about the memory not being able to handle some drivers or something.

Blue screens can be caused by PSU in the way if there’s a small hiccup in the RAMs supply of power, it will NMI.

What type of power supply is it? Model and Mnfctr?

6 years of continuous use, with a sudden increase in power demand wouldn’t be unreasonable for the power supply to stop being reliable.

SerjAngelo

Prominent
May 21, 2020
Blue screens can be caused by PSU in the way if there’s a small hiccup in the RAMs supply of power, it will NMI.

What type of power supply is it? Model and Mnfctr?

6 years of continuous use, with a sudden increase in power demand wouldn’t be unreasonable for the power supply to stop being reliable.

That would be CoolerMaster V650S
Guess that's my next stop then - thanks for the tip