BSOD after new Windows 10 install

Dec 4, 2018
Hello All,

I'm new here. Well, not really new. I've been reading on this forum for years. I'm trying to help get my father-in-law's computer going. He had it built in 2009. I guess it has always had intermittent BSOD's. They have recently gotten worse. Motherboard is an Intel DP55KG. I've replaced the power supply with an Antec HCG650, the RAM with 2x G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24 (8gb total), the HDD with a 1tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD. I just recently installed the SSD. I disconnected all previous drives installed the SSD, and installed brand new Windows 10 to it from a flash drive. BSOD's are still about 5x per day during idle and usage. I'm sure it has to be either the motherboard or the graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 5750.) Is there a way to determine which it is or just replace one and if that doesn't work replace the other. I have WhoCrashed and BlueScreenView if crash info helps.

Dec 4, 2018
On Tue 12/4/2018 1:13:41 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\120418-9031-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1B1040)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF80300000000, 0x10, 0xFFFFF80300000000, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 12/4/2018 1:13:41 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!memset+0x508A1)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF80300000000, 0x10, 0xFFFFF80300000000, 0x2)
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 12/4/2018 11:32:31 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\120418-9000-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x42567)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE20FF5AAA028, 0xB2000000, 0x10005)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Tue 12/4/2018 11:13:16 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\120418-9015-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF802003C4701, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8024190194F, 0x2)

On Tue 12/4/2018 10:01:33 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\120418-9953-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80367EFF94F, 0xFFFFF604C8636ED0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

On Tue 12/4/2018 9:30:46 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\120418-9250-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x162 (0xFFFFDA06BAD59080, 0xFFFFDA06B68A9440, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE
Bug check description: This indicates that a lock tracked by AutoBoost was released by a thread that did not own the lock.

Dec 4, 2018

I've been trying to get Intel Desktop Control Center to run on Windows 10. I guess it just isn't possible. I'll have to download something to check temps. Any recommendations?

Dec 4, 2018
I don't know if it is related or not, but Chrome keeps either crashing or saying "Aw, Snap!" This started two weeks ago and continued after the clean install.

rgd1101

Don't

try hwinfo

Dec 4, 2018

I appreciate your response Paul. The Intel Extreme Tuning Utility is part of the Intel Desktop Control Center. It's never been on this system until today. The date you saw is Intel's date not my system's. I did remove Intel Desktop Control Center because it won't work with Windows 10, so the Extreme Tuning Utility is gone along with it.

I've completely removed Kaspersky in the past and it didn't seem to change anything.

Dec 4, 2018

No errors found. I posted a screen grab to the Drive folder.

uninstall any overclocking driver, reset the bios to defaults.
all of your errors are likely to be due to single bit errors.

EXCEPT you should never get a bugcheck 0x124 from a memory error. (at least on systems that have the memory controller inside the cpu chip)
which is why I would look for the overclock driver or a bios overclock.

you can also set this error if your bios does not have proper microcode for your cpu.
IE your bios is older that the release date of the cpu.

you can put your memory dumps on a cloud server, share the files for public access and post a link.
I can take a quick look for common issues.

you can run autoruns from here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
you can use it to disable overclock drivers. (hide the Microsoft entries to make the list smaller)

also, the bugchecks indicate a bad memory address but they look valid ie, they are kernel addresses that start with 0xfff and are not clearly bogus addresses like address 0x0 or 0x10 or a user mode address.

if you do not have a overclock driver you should update the bios, set your memory timings and run memtest86 to confirm your memory timings. (always a good thing to do)

you can also get bugcheck 0x124 from power fluctuations. most often from a reboot caused by a gpu using too much power from the pci/e bus and triggering the motherboard power overload logic.
in these cases the (generally a side effect of a power supply that fakes its power_ok signal)

stdragon

Admirable
FYI, CPU microcode updates are also provided in OS updates as well. In fact new Intel CPU microcode was rolled into the last month or two of Windows 10 updates. So if the BIOS doesn't have it, it will get loaded with Windows.

I would have to look at the memory dump to see if they have the microsoft microcode update (and if it is actually working). I see a lot of dump that have a broken version installed that prevents the updated version from getting installed. Some people block updates also. so the generic advice, update the bios and motherboard drivers.
then let windows update provide the windows microcode patches. Microsoft has so many machines that do windows error reporting they will provide the fastest cpu microcode patches.

I would have to look at the memory dump to see if they have the microsoft microcode update (and if it is actually working). I see a lot of dump that have a broken version installed that prevents the updated version from getting installed. Some people block updates also. so the generic advice, update the bios and motherboard drivers.
then let windows update provide the windows microcode patches. Microsoft has so many machines that do windows error reporting they will provide the fastest cpu microcode patches.

best to get the patches into bios so they don't have to be loaded and the motherboard vendor can make other fixes at the same time.

Dec 4, 2018
Thank you everyone for all of your responses. I've already run MemTest86. There aren't any overclocking drivers. I even uninstalled Intel's control center program that came with the motherboard because it had overclocking built in. For some reason Windows started dumping the dump files. In Startup and Recovery I changed it to not overwrite any existing file and disable automatic deletion of memory dumps. SSD has 820gb of free space so that shouldn't be the problem. I also went ahead and removed the CMOS battery for 10 minutes. I confirmed once again that the Bios and all firmware are up to date. Once I get a new BSOD I will report back. Thank you for your continued assistance.

Dec 4, 2018
I uploaded a screen grab from BlueScreenView to the drive folder.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16IBzJr7K9JK4bnFhud8Jpb8mA0d-PAGb?usp=sharing

This is the first BSOD since I removed the CMOS battery for 10 minutes and reinstalled last Monday. The crash occurred Saturday morning. I got over here today to upload the minidump. It pulled up fine in BlueScreenView, but while I was looking at it, it was deleted. I went to the windows folder where it should be only to find an empty minidump folder. I'm going to check his cloud backup to see if any of these files have made it in there. If anyone has any suggestions for something I haven't tried to keep the minidump files from disappearing please let me know.

take a look at this and see if it applies:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d65eebe3-5bbf-40e7-b53e-8c15450d85d4/what-part-of-windows-10-automatically-deletes-mini-dump-files
---
the text just indicates that a bad memory value was use by some function. Can not read the function without the memory dump. windows does not normally delete these files, these files should be owned by the system. you might scan your system for the file name in case the files are being moved to a new location for the windows error reporting.

ie start cmd.exe as an admin then:
cd c:\
dir /s 122218-9640-01.dmp

this will search subdirectories on your c: drive looking for the file. It will return the path to the file if it finds it.

and see if it finds the file at a new location.

you can also google "how to force a memory dump via keyboard" make the registry setting and then force a memory dump and see if the file is created and if it is gets deleted.

you might have a program monitoring the directory and moving the files and deleting them after they are moved. this is something that the tool robocopy.exe can do with the /mon switch.

there are also powershell scripts that monitor directories. these might be in the task scheduler

Dec 4, 2018
I'll read through that thread. In the mean time, I did that search through command prompt with no luck. Thank you!

Dec 4, 2018
The computer gave me a BSOD while I was messing around with it. I uploaded the minidump to the drive folder. I'm also uploading the full memory.dmp if anyone is interested in that.

I see a mini dump file named 12-24-18 @1104am.dmp
but the debugger does not like the kernel versions and microsoft does not have symbols for that version so the debugger can not debug it correctly.

Built by: 17763.1.amd64fre.rs5_release.180914-1434

looks like a call to win32k!NtGdiSetDIBitsToDeviceInternal
lead to the crash.
here is the kernel image that the debugger can not match to a public windows build on the Microsoft symbol server:
(it could be a modified kernel or even just a bogus build that was pushed out by Microsoft)

\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe ***** Invalid (A1808F58)
start end module name
fffff802`7b4a2000 fffff802`7bf10000 nt T (no symbols)
Loaded symbol image file: ntoskrnl.exe
Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Image name: ntoskrnl.exe
Browse all global symbols functions data
Timestamp: ***** Invalid (A1808F58)
CheckSum: 0093C976
ImageSize: 00A6E000
Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
Information from resource tables:

Dec 4, 2018
I went ahead and removed Glary Utilities in case it was somehow deleting the dmp files even though it wasn't running. I only needed it to get rid of duplicate pictures from moving to his new SSD.

Dec 4, 2018
I don't know if it matters, but I re-uploaded the mini.dmp with the original name 122418-9937-01.dmp . Even though I'm uploading it as a zip file, the 177 MB dump file doesn't seem to be uploading to drive. Original (uncompressed) file is 708 MB. You would think with 20 MB upload speed it wouldn't take so long. Drive just says "starting upload" after almost an hour.