BSOD after running chkdsk

Jan 18, 2019
Had a really big scare. I tried running chkdsk to clear up some bug I have been having and it would only go to blue screen for awhile. I ran it again from the command prompt in the recovery screens and everything seems fine now. Anybody ever heard of something like this happening?

When I tried to do a system restore from BSOD it said something about choosing which installation of windows to restore. I only have one OS loaded on my PC and it never gave me an option.

Going forward, what is the best way to protect myself from data loss/hdd issues if I only have one hard drive? Anything I can really do besides getting an external drive or using a cloud service?

Solution

If you only got 1 BSOD, I wouldn't worry too much. In case it happens again, Can you follow option one on the following link - here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file...

Colif

Win 11 Master

If you only got 1 BSOD, I wouldn't worry too much. In case it happens again, Can you follow option one on the following link - here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

Going forward, what is the best way to protect myself from data loss/hdd issues if I only have one hard drive? Anything I can really do besides getting an external drive or using a cloud service?

Only choice left there apart from 2 you mentioned is buy an internal hdd instead and put any data you want to save on it instead, then if Windows dies you don't lose everything. I don't have anything on my boot drive apart from windows and all applications that need to be reinstalled with a new windows. Everything else lives on my 2nd hdd.

Solution