[SOLVED] BSOD after upgrading PC

Apr 7, 2020
Hello all,

Today I've upgraded my pc and was super excited to play some games on this new rig but unfortunatly....

So the problem and tried solutions so far;
INITIAL computer:

INTEL CORE I5 6600k
KINGSTON HYPERX FURY 16GB DDR4
CORSAIR CS750M
MSI Z170A PC MATE
MSI GEFORCE GTX 970 GAMING 4G
SAMSUNG SSD 250GB PRO

This computer was working perfect.

Then I replaced the folowing parts:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Gigabyte X570 Gaming X
MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Super Ventus OC
Memory same as initial
PSU same as initial
SSD same as initial

So right after replacing the parts and booting up the computer I quickly got the: BSOD memory management. (Right after hitting 'Sign in' sometimes it would take 15/20 seconds before crashing. in those 20 seconds i could do anything).
After goofing around with safemode, installing/updating drivers. Removing new GPU and replace it with the old GPU. The problem persisted. Somethimes the BSOD would change. Some of them listed below. After this didnt solve my problem i formatted my ssd and tried installing a brand new windows 10 version from a bootable USB. But this proces came with alot of BSOD's aswell and now im not able to startup the pc anymore it just keeps crashing.

Right now im running Memtest86+ and will post results later.
Does anyone have an idea what I could do next? I tought maybe the new motherboard or CPU was broken in some way if the memtest passes.

BSOD's seen
  • memory_management
  • irql_not_equql_or_lower
  • system_service_exception
  • critical_structure_corruption
  • kmode_exception_not_handeled

Solution
If the memtest succeded would that mean it is compatible aswell?
No. There are endless differences in memory. You must know the exact memory that will work with your motherboard and CPU. Seeing you switched from a Intel to AMD motherboard/ CPU, it's almost guaranteed your previous memory will not work.

Lulu101

Prominent
Feb 18, 2019
Have you tried chkdsk, sfc
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
?

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020
Have you tried chkdsk, sfc
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
?

Right now i cant even boot windows since the installation keeps failing so i have not done this

What is the BSOD error code you are given?

The initial one i got was: memory_management
But i've seen multiple as shown in the list in my original post

Mohan_27

Reputable
Jun 2, 2017
Right now i cant even boot windows since the installation keeps failing so i have not done this

The initial one i got was: memory_management
But i've seen multiple as shown in the list in my original post

Because your system was working fine beforehand, I'm assuming the problem exists where you've upgraded.

So you've tried a different GPU, problem still persists. I'd reccomend troubleshooting without the graphics card installed for now as its not a necessary feature.

Now at first you got a RAM problem. Have you checked if the RAM you currently have is compatible with your new motherboard. You can check on the manufacturers website.

Check with only one RAM stick to see if it boots; if the system keeps crashing at boot does it give you a BSOD?

Apr 7, 2020
Because your system was working fine beforehand, I'm assuming the problem exists where you've upgraded.

So you've tried a different GPU, problem still persists. I'd reccomend troubleshooting without the graphics card installed for now as its not a necessary feature.

Now at first you got a RAM problem. Have you checked if the RAM you currently have is compatible with your new motherboard. You can check on the manufacturers website.

Check with only one RAM stick to see if it boots; if the system keeps crashing at boot does it give you a BSOD?

I need to use a GPU since the AMD Ryzen 3800X does not have onboard graphics

I have checked the RAM, it is not on the list unfortunatly but it sais: 'Memory modules listed as above is for reference only. Due to massive memory models in market, we can only verify some of them.' So im not sure at the moment. I'll probably order new ones later.

So i tried to boot with 1 ramstick (the one that succeded the memtest86 with 13 passes) and when it almost finished i got a BSOD with code: irql_not_equql_or_lower.
After that i restarted and i am now looking at a newly installed windows 10 with nothing on it. for about 15 minutes. Literally as im typing this it crashed again with a memory management BSOD

Mohan_27

Reputable
Jun 2, 2017
I need to use a GPU since the AMD Ryzen 3800X does not have onboard graphics

I have checked the RAM, it is not on the list unfortunatly but it sais: 'Memory modules listed as above is for reference only. Due to massive memory models in market, we can only verify some of them.' So im not sure at the moment. I'll probably order new ones later.

So i tried to boot with 1 ramstick (the one that succeded the memtest86 with 13 passes) and when it almost finished i got a BSOD with code: irql_not_equql_or_lower.
After that i restarted and i am now looking at a newly installed windows 10 with nothing on it. for about 15 minutes. Literally as im typing this it crashed again with a memory management BSOD

So the good news is that its not your GPU, It isn't your processor. PSU, it can't be your storage devices as they are universally compatible. Your processor is compatible with the motherboard too.

And if your running on a fresh install of windows, there can't be any third party software's interfering with any components. Meaning the hardware devices are sorely working on their own. Can you access the BIOS, your system might have preinstalled RAM profiles, maybe fiddle with those and ajust the clock speeds. Trial and error.

Apr 7, 2020
No. There are endless differences in memory. You must know the exact memory that will work with your motherboard and CPU. Seeing you switched from a Intel to AMD motherboard/ CPU, it's almost guaranteed your previous memory will not work.

So im going to order some new RAM, when i look at kingston site to find compatible RAM i get different rams from what the QVL is giving me.. So how do i know whichones will work?

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x570-gaming-x_matisse_191231.pdf

https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search?model=100037&devicetype=7&mfr=gig&line=x570 gaming x&totalcapacity_=8

Gigabyte has not tested all the possible RAM that will work with it's mother board. The Memory in the QVL is guaranteed to work by Gigabyte. The other memory suggested by Kingston is guaranteed to work by Kingston. If you want to find the QVL memory, check the list and google the model number. However be aware you must use the exact model/kit number in the QVL, any difference, not matter how small, may be incompatible.

OTOH, the Kingston RAM will very likely work, and if not they will replace it or give you refund.

TRENDING THREADS