BSOD after windows loading logo (Graphics driver failure)

sontm

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Hello everyone! so here's the problem:

When i install my graphics card in pc, it boots up but i get blue screen right after the windows loading logo and it automaticly shuts down. without the graphics card pc turns on fine and i can only turn on with the graphics card in safe mode or in normal mode without the nVidia drivers. sometimes when i reinstall windows pc boots fine with graphics card pluged in and there are no symptoms of GPU damage. The wierd part is if i shut down my pc by holding the power button it wont boot up again( it wont even post) and without the graphics card it boots back up just fine but the last time i tried to reinstall windows it didnt help. Please help me guys and sorry for my bad English.

my specs:
Windows 7 32bits
Intel i5-3570 CPU 3.40 GHz
MSI Z77A-G43 motherboard
GTS 450 nVidia graphics card
4 GB ram
gs 550w power suply

update: here's the BSOD:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to you computer.

Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.

Check to make sure any new hardware of software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows update you might need.
If problem continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware of software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Option, and then select safe mode.

*** STOP: 0x00000116 (0x87BD7008, 0x9293FABC, 0x00000000, 0x00000002)

*** nvlddmkm.sys - Address 9293FABC base at 9282D000, DateStamp 5315b301

If that's a Huntkey GS550 PSU, it's a pretty good bet the power supply is the problem although that is an older GPU and could very well be feeling it's age. Huntkey does make SOME halfway decent units, but according to the limited review information available on the GS series units, that's not one of them.

Can I ask you again that you are sure it's a Clean install of windows? This can be caused by driver interference, although I am not very sure. I would also try the card and/or the PSU on another system. The GPU might be defective, or the PSU might be technically strong enough for the GPU, but is not able to give power to the GPU in reality because of age or other reliability related issue.

I understand that. But he still could have recently done a clean install of windows, and then installed five different driver versions. Yeah, that's an overkill example, but you get the idea. I've seen plenty, in fact, very many, systems with clean windows installations that would absolutely not run correctly until the correct graphics drivers were installed. Sometimes that requires using the DDU as windows will natively install AMD or Nvidia driver packages for some graphics cards and often those versions Windows thinks are fine, have issues, and newer versions are available that resolved whatever issues were present for the older driver package.

sontm

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Thanks for the replies guys! What do you mean by clean windows reinstall, should i format my C: drive before i install new windows?(I don't know much about this). For old drivers i've used Driver Sweeper to clean them but the BSOD still appears, and i've tried older and newer drivers and still the same. I can run windows in safe mode though. I had this problem before, windows could not start with the graphics card but there was no BSOD, pc just didnt post, when i re installed windows the card ran fine until i turned off my pc by holding power button. After that no windows re installation helped.

Driver sweeper does nothing for display drivers. It does not remove registry entries and is not a good product. Use the display driver uninstaller with the method I outlined in the article I linked to above. Then install the newest available drivers from the Nvidia website, also linked to in the drivers section of the article.

And a clean windows install is just that, clean. A normal windows install does NOT recreate the boot record, which can cause issues. There can be other problems as well. Here is how to do a CLEAN install of windows, not to be confused with a CLEAN display driver install. Same principal, two different methods.

Windows 8 CLEAN install: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2299-clean-install-windows-8-a.html

sontm

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Sorry for late reply guys but a had my hdd formatted and installed new windows. Now theres no BSOD but when i plug my GPU pc wont boot, could it be the ram?

Make sure your BIOS is up to date. Make sure the card is fully seated, it's power connectors, if any, are plugged in and that it's in the correct slot which should be the #1 PCIex16 slot closest to the CPU.

If the PC boots and runs normally using the integrated graphics but not with the GPU installed, then it's something to do with the GPU, not the RAM. It could be the GPU or PSU. I told you in the beginning that was a poor choice of PSU and if the unit doesn't want to work with the additional power requirements of the graphics card, that just makes it even more likely.