BSOD and AVG Free

Hey all,

Here is another issue that I've noticed with W7 in case anybody wants to know. I've been using AVG Free with Vista for quite sometime without an issue and up to a few days ago, it was going fine with W7. I hardly ever do a full scan of my laptop (a fairly new Toshiba), but a schedules scan was initiated and I let it run through. So, after about 50 minutes of scanning and presumably towards the end of the scan, I got a BSOD. I forget the actual error message, as I should have taken note of it. It's the latest version of AVG, but who knows if it truly compatible with W7 yet, so that could have been the issue. I know it isn't a conflict with another virus scanner, registry cleaner, or any other utility of the sort.

I have yet to let it run through again, but I'll get to it soon to see if it happens again.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Likewise. Interesting... I've just had a few random issues like this pop up over the past few months. Nothing major mind you, but just a few minor issues. As I stated in a previous thread, i had an issue with both machines running 64-bit 7100 locking up with a random CD in the drive on start up. Guess it's just me and strange "luck." However, I still like W7 and don't envision anything major once the RTM comes out Wednesday.

toadies206

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
I have been going nuts trying to find what's causing a bsod on my computer.. Windows 7 Ultimate RTM 64. When it crashes it says something about hardware.

I memtest86 my ram...
updated all my drivers on my system thinking it might be my videocard...
finally did a windows debugger and it shows the avg program.

I was running windows XP & Vista 64 and no problems... even updated to the 9.x version on vista 64. I guess we have to wait some time and use something else until there is another update.

I'm glad to see i'm not the only person having problems. The only bummer part is, I am not using the free version> :-/