BSOD and Intel Graphics Driver

KASPhoto

Honorable
Jun 11, 2015
Recently I have received 3 BSOD that are directly related to the Intel graphics driver. The computer only has the built in graphics chip in the CPU. The computer has been running Windows 10 Home for over 2 years with some issues, but the BSOD related to the graphics drivers is a new wrinkle. This happened about a week ago after a cumulative windows 10 update. I have kept the system drivers up to date. To hopefully resolve this issue I uninstalled the graphics drivers, restarted the computer to make the computer reinstall a fresh version of the drivers and so far the system seems to be all right.... for now. I set the power setting to maximum performance. The computer is becoming more and more problematic to keep running properly. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue above and beyond a driver issue? It can't be a hardware issue with another graphics chip because I'm only using the one that came with the computer. Driver conflict? Maybe. Beginning hardware failure?.......... Mid May the computer is going to be 6 years old.

The computer is a
Dell Vostro 260
i3-2120
w/ 8GB of RAM (upgraded from 4GB)
1TB WD blue drive (upgraded from 512GB Seagate)
I forget the model graphics but its an Intel HD 2000 series
Windows 10 Home (with all the updates in place)

Solution
You may need to roll back to older drivers after every update of the intel drivers in future. Lucky they don't release them as often as Nvidia do for their cards.

Colif

Win 11 Master
No windows 10 drivers here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81502/Intel-HD-Graphics-2000

up until about a year ago you could have gotten away with using Win 8 drivers, but win 10 now requires drivers to be signed to work with win 10.
can you look in device manager and see what driver version/date is showing against the GPU?

Support for second generation Intel HD Graphics is not officially available for Windows 10. Some drivers are available through Windows update, however these tend to be older Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 drivers. These drivers may have problems in delivering expected battery life, performance, or features such as hibernate or sleep in Windows 10.
Intel second generation HD Graphics are known as HD2000 and HD3000, and were available on the Core i3-2xxx and Core i5-2xxx series processors. These processors could be fitted to either Intel 6 Series or 7 Series chipset motherboards. In addition, most of these motherboards could be fitted with second or third generation Intel HD Graphics leaving to easy confusion when looking for available Windows 10 drivers for your system and processor combination.

https://kb.stonegroup.co.uk/windows-10-and-older-intel-hd-graphics-driver-availability-and-compatibility_540.pdf

It looks to me to be a case of intel not supporting the hardware on Win 10, so while hardware works fine, you going to run into problems going forward with drivers. You could go back to win 8 or you can think about buying new hardware down the track.

KASPhoto

Honorable
Jun 11, 2015
Driver Provider: Intel Corperation
Driver Date:5/19/2016
Driver Version: 9.17.10.1159
Digital Signeture: Microsoft Windows hardware Compatibility Publisher

I went from 7 to 10 and I have no intention of going back to 7. This BSOD is recent and I have been running windows 10 for over 2 years before getting this kind of BSOD. Right now I need to keep this computer functional until the end of April when hopefully I get my hands on a new or newer computer. Purchasing new hardware for this computer is not financially cost effect. I have had this computer from the beginning (almost 6 years). My dad is the primary user of this computer.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

I assume it won't happen now you running the older drivers?

KASPhoto

Honorable
Jun 11, 2015

unfortunately the Mini dump file was not saved....