Sep 19, 2014
Specs:

i5 Skylake 4ghz
XFX850watt Gold PSU
16GB RAM DDR4 2666
Gigabyte Gaming K3
R9 390
Win 10

I was running a crossfire set up with two 390's until I sold my primary card. I then moved the secondary card into the primary slot to make use of it's 16x speed.

When I booted it up today, everything worked as it should, expect a minute into booting while it was updating a game, I got the BSOD.

I powered the machine down, and tried to reboot. Everything whirred up as normal, but nothing displayed on the screen, waiting perhaps 15secs, the PC would then power itself down... 5 or so seconds later, boot itself back up and go through the same process unless I forced a power down.

Speaking to a friend they had something similar albeit they didn't do anything with the GPU, they removed the battery on the MB and put back in, and everything worked as it should thereafter.

Do you think this could be a driver issue? (I hadn't wiped/reinstalled the drivers while removing the GPU) or could it be something else?

Both GPU's worked fine before, and they're hardly used as I use the PC mainly for Lightroom and Photoshop.

Solution
Seems I've got it working now.

Just doing a furmark GPU stress test and all looking good.

Hadn't done anything in particular, only this time reseated GPU in PCIe 1 but did not connect the power cables. Started up fine. Powered down and connected power cables restarted and it booted up, which I was t expecting.

Installed drivers and running furmark. Can only suggest it wasn't seated properly or a loose connection. How, I don't know as they'd been taken in and out many times and pushed in hard to make sure. But. Only logically explanation

quinncooper1988

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
I get no code at all.... it was literally just a blue screen.

Each time thereafter it tries to boot I get no input on the screen, and cycles powering off/on.

I'm back at work now so will try the CMOS reset as soon as I get back. I thought I'd ask in case there was anything glaringly obvious, or if there were any other quick checks worth trying

If the above fix doesnt work, then the next thing to do is check the RAM, Try reseating the RAM again and try booting with one memory module. Check each ram and each slots to be sure. But i guess the cmos reset will fix things.

quinncooper1988

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014

Just tried resetting the CMOS and it worked... for a short while.

Rebooted fine, got to the windows logo and then just hung. Forced power off, rebooted and back to square one.

So I've taken out the GPU, and connected to display via HDMI to MB and reset CMOS again.

See if this works now....

quinncooper1988

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
Still nothing :(

I've not yet removed the cables from the PSU that once fed the second GPU... clutching at straws really here. It's modular so can unplug these at the PSU end.

Checked CMOS
Checked RAM
Removed GPU and going via MB / integrated graphics

Each time I get it to reboot after CMOS reset it freezes up. This time on the "gigabyte" logo where you would press Del to enter BIOS

quinncooper1988

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
Decided to try CMOS and leaving RAM out a little while longer....

She's now alive!!!!!!

This is while GPU is out so shall DDU old drivers and install new. Reinstall GPU and fingers crossed she'll be back to normal

ok, it seems to be a problem of the RAM now.... take the gpu of the motherboard and keep it seperate for now... just install one memory stick at the furthest most slot.... post the result here... i am waiting for your reply....

quinncooper1988

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
Before seeing your reply I'd managed to get on after CMOS / RAM reseat while the GPU was out the case.

Everything booted as normal and so I ran DDU on my AMD drivers. Rebooted. Logged in again all was good.

Put GPU back in just now and the same thing occurs.

Seeing you reply now I'll take out the GPU and RAM and install one stick first.

It's an i5 skylake 6600K 4ghz

OK, after logging into windows, do a prime95 test with everything on default for 10 mins and see if an error is there.

After running using the 2nd slot... Download passmark or 3dmark(its abig download) and test the gpu and report back... I think this is what happened, while taking out the first gpu, somehow the slot was damaged, maybe a bad pin. But i maybe wrong too...

Edit: I want to do all the tests in a orderly fashion as to rule out each component... So each test is crucial to determining the issue....

quinncooper1988

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
I don't think I have extra cables, I'll check... although using the 2nd pice slot I've had to use the second lot of power cables. Due to cable management the set for PCIe one doesn't reach PCIe two

So been tested with 2 sets

I am really surprised that if your graphics card was faulty then how did your graphics performance was up to par with crossfire performances... Did you ever notice performance issues while in game, like issues generally with crossfire or sli?