Jan 30, 2024
Hello everyone, first-time poster here, so please excuse me if there are any mistakes in the post

So about a year ago, I built my second PC, the specs for the PC are

Processor - Intel - Core i9-13900K 13th Gen

Motherboard - ASUS ROG Strix B660-A WiFi D4 LGA 1700(Intel 12th Gen)

RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB

GPU - ASUS ROG GeForce RTX 4080 16GB

Storage - Samsung - 980 PRO 2TB Internal Gaming SSD PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe

PSU - Corsair RM1000x (2021) Fully Modular

Everything on the PC was working great for the most part until a month or 2 ago when I noticed I could not push a Windows 22H2 update. I thought it was very odd so I decided to look into it and try to troubleshoot, this led to opening a whole can of worms.

Every time I would push the update it would always give me an error and tell me it could not install the update and forums would tell me to run the sfc /scannow command in the command prompt. Still, I would get an error saying "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service."

After reading through more forums I was asked to run a separate command "DISM /online /cleanup-image /RestoreHealth" and saw that the command helped many people but I was still facing issues.

So this is where it gets weird, I tried to run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and the application would not open. This was the first time I had seen this. I then attempted to run my PC with 1 stick of RAM to see if that was the issue, The PC still turned on but I couldn't push the update or open the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool, then I noticed that If I tried to open the properties to my Local drive I couldn't open properties at all.

(A side not, I tried to plug in different USB thumb drives and hard drives to the PC and the machines wouldn't recognize the hardware at all)

After this, I began going through several Windows-provided tools and realized I could only open a handful of them. In contrast, others wouldn't load or show signs of loading, so this is when I decided to just reset the entire PC since I thought it had to be a corrupt OS.

So I did the usual reset that is in the Windows settings and after everything was done and a reboot happened the PC loads up with my profile and tells me a reset can't be done. This was very odd so I decided to just load a USB with the OS and do a clean install from the USB. Once the download is done and I get to the boot menu to install the OS, the installation starts for about 2-3 minutes, and an error occurs stating "Windows cannot install required files make sure all files required for installation are available" which is weird so I re-format the USB that has the os, reload windows installer on it and attempt to try again only to be treated with the same error. So after this, I decided to try out a new m.2 and see if that would fix the issue. Long story short I still had the same issues and the same error.

SO THEN I decided to go into safe mode and run the sfc /scannow command and now the command works!! The command tells me that there were some corrupt files and referred me to a "CBS" log (sorry I didn't take a picture of this or have documentation of it)

So I reboot my PC and start the troubleshooting over and continue to have the same issues. I then just try to boot it only with a separate mouse and keyboard plugged in (to eliminate and peripherals causing the issues) but still get an error stating the OS can't be installed so then I keep trying, and get a blue screen with an error NTFS.sys

After reading more forums online it looked to be hardware so I thought maybe my motherboard was dying so I got a new motherboard along with new RAM and try to just install a clean fresh version of Windows, all looks to be working but halfway through the installation I get an error again telling me that "Windows cannot install required files make sure all files required for installation are available" and then after a restart I get another BSOD with something regarding "Kernal" (sorry I didn't take a picture of it)

I have seen so many forums saying the OS on the USB is corrupt so I re-downloaded the OS 5 different times on 2 different USB's (1 was new out of the box formatted to FAT32) and still had issues.

SOOOOO THEN I said you know what let me run the sfc /scannow command again in the safe mode and I got told there were corrupt files that needed to be repaired and get referred back to the "CBS" log which is so weird because I have replaced almost everything!! (Only thing left is the CPU)

The last tests I ran was updating my BIOS, I was behind quite a few versions, which I hope was the issue, but it wasn't :(

If you're reading this far THANK YOU, I am sorry for my bad grammar and run on sentences. Hopefully, someone can help out!

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
I have seen so many forums saying the OS on the USB is corrupt so I re-downloaded the OS 5 different times on 2 different USB's (1 was new out of the box formatted to FAT32) and still had issues.
how did you make the bootable USB drive? media creation tool?

did it start happening right after the update failed at first, or was it there from around that time.

Jan 30, 2024
how did you make the bootable USB drive? media creation tool?

did it start happening right after the update failed at first, or was it there from around that time.
Yes I used Media Creation Tool.

I would say it started happening around the time the update failed, I just didn't notice anything until a few games would crash (maybe 2 months later?)