[SOLVED] BSOD and random restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2022
Hello, my PC randomly restart or gets BSOD. I had this problem for weeks now. I already tried a PC service and they said everything is fine there was no problem during tests so we agreed with that it must be a SSD or HDD problem so i got a new SATA3 SSD to try it for some time and it went well i used it for almost a week and didin't get any BSOD or restart. After that i bought a new M.2 SSD (i had a M.2 SSD originally) and a new HDD and after a day I got this problem back altough didn't get BSOD (at least until now) my PC randomly restart at least once a day. I tried everything i could driver update, tried different ports for everything i could, unplug reset button from motherboard (i read somewhere that smb had problem with that), tried different system settings. The most annoying thing is it totally random sometimes its after 4 hours sometimes after 20 hours. Its not because overheating or smth because most of the time only a browser runnning and discord and my pc still randomly restart.

Nov 14, 2022
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
Ram: G.Skill DDR4 3200 16GB RipJaws (2x8GB)
SSD/HDD: Gigabyte 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe / Toshiba P300 High-Perfomance 1TB [3.5"/64MB/7200/SATA3]
GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 2060 SUPER GAMING OC 3X 8G
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Bronze 650W [80+ Bronze]

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

just in case its not PSU.

Colif

Win 11 Master
conversion of dump file

report - click run this fiddle to read

File: 111422-6828-01.dmp (Nov 14 2022 - 23:43:45)
BugCheck: [KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 16 Hour(s), 34 Min(s), and 55 Sec(s)

random restarts isn't windows. Memory corruption doesn't mean ram. I can't see anything that points at a driver, error happened when exiting sleep state.

try updating chipset drivers, don't need raid or stormi - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450
you have an old bios but thats unlikely to cause restarts.

Colif

Win 11 Master
conversion of dump files

File: 111522-7437-01.dmp (Nov 16 2022 - 03:14:49)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: firefox.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 06 Sec(s)

File: 111522-6812-01.dmp (Nov 16 2022 - 07:38:51)
BugCheck: [IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: Battle.net.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 34 Sec(s)

Download Win10 Auto Installation Program (NDIS) from under windows header here - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

Colif

Win 11 Master
conversion of dump files

File: 111622-6656-01.dmp (Nov 16 2022 - 21:54:52)
BugCheck: [IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE (4A)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: WowVoiceProxy.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 12 Hour(s), 40 Min(s), and 15 Sec(s)

well, its evolving, new error each time. thought it might have been Lan based on victims.
That isn't a bsod I see a lot.

I assume ram is a set.

was almost tempted to suggest audio drivers last time
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-ELITE-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver

at this point only drivers we haven't changed are Nvidia and Bluestacks.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022
I use GeForce Experience for NVIDIA drivers it should be the newest based on that, the thing i don't understand the most that why it worked with the borrowed ssd and not with mine after i bought a new one

Colif

Win 11 Master
2 different installs can have different drivers
none of the errors show any sign that the ssd is cause. No operations on it.
Most of the crashes aren't giving me any signs of what cause is. Its not normally this hard.

Having the latest Nvidia drivers isn't always best idea. Eventually the drivers are more for the newest cards... 4090 and less for the older cards... 2060 Super. I have a 2070 Super myself, almost time for a new card.

i wonder what the ssd toolbox has in it. Might have tests - https://www.gigabyte.com/SSD/GIGABYTE-NVMe-SSD-256GB/support#support-dl-utility

Colif

Win 11 Master

File: 111622-6765-01.dmp (Nov 17 2022 - 04:00:18)
BugCheck: [KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)]
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 17 Min(s), and 11 Sec(s)

File: 111622-6703-01.dmp (Nov 17 2022 - 06:54:14)
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: Discord.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 13 Min(s), and 35 Sec(s)

new nvidia drivers (released today)

Might need to run this to identify cause - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/driver-verifier-instructions.3686888/

Nov 14, 2022
A friend advised to try it out without ssd so i removed my ssd and installed a win10 on my hdd yesterday it was good until now and few minutes ago again my pc randomly restarted without BSOD the screen froze for a sec and then restarted similar to BSOD but didn't get one just restart no dmp file either its started the same way last week i installed windows then for 2 days i got these restarts then i started to get BSOD, my question is could it be a windows problem or its something else?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I vote something else. Windows isn't that fragile

something is corrupting it/drivers so we look at things that touch memory 1st

at least we know its not the new ssd

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
Ram: G.Skill DDR4 3200 16GB RipJaws (2x8GB)
SSD/HDD: Gigabyte 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe / Toshiba P300 High-Perfomance 1TB [3.5"/64MB/7200/SATA3]
GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 2060 SUPER GAMING OC 3X 8G
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Bronze 650W [80+ Bronze]

there are 6 bios since the one you are on, that could help = https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-ELITE-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

run both the next 2 overnight as they take a while

CPU
try running Prime 95 - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/prime95-download.html
Prime 95 Instructions - https://appuals.com/how-to-run-a-cpu-stress-test-using-prime95/
this also tests ram & psu. Its possible the problem is rounding, Prime will tell us.

RAM - Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it
run it overnight as it takes a while

Could be PSU

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022
Tried a PC Service again they said it worked for them (the windows Event Viewer says otherwise there was 2 not proper restart while they worked on it but i can't be sure what did they do with it), test didn't show any problem, for some reason i got less BSOD and restart now (didn't change anything in the PC so i don't understand why) at this point i think i'll start replacing parts one by one. I'll post here what was the problem if its solved maybe it can help others. Thank you for your help so far

Colif

Win 11 Master
One possibility is if it worked fine at repair store and messes up at home, is its something you are plugging into it that is causing errors. So could be USB device or speakers. Any of those old?

conversion of dumps

report - run as fiddle to read

File: 120422-7437-01.dmp (Dec 4 2022 - 23:16:12)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 31 Min(s), and 08 Sec(s)

File: 120422-7312-01.dmp (Dec 4 2022 - 22:44:39)
BugCheck: [DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: HD-Player.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 28 Sec(s)

second one could be GPU drivers
try running DDU in safe mode, remove Nvidia drivers, boot into normal mode and reinstall them

if it was ram you would probably be getting all sorts of different errors, I have seen that IRQL GT Zero one twice now

download Win10 Auto Installation Program (NDIS) from under windows header here - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

Nov 14, 2022
Back when i thought my old HDD was the cause of this (i'm not sure anymore if its really bad because i replaced it and still got the same issue) i remember i didn't have anything plugged in except my mouse because i wanted to test smth and i got BSOD after 2min and i only opened a folder, i searched for something (don't remember what doesn't rly matter) then i thought ok it was my hdd then i unplugged it and it worked for 5 days then replaced it and my ssd and back to the start its crashed again.

If i remember correctly that was the time when i first posted here. Then not long ago (after i tried everything i could including your advices here) i tried to get out a ram stick and it worked for some time but i asked for help at a PC service they said they put back the ram and it worked for them (as i said earlier im confident that they actually didn't do anything other than run some test and say everything is fine) then i brought home the pc and it crashed that day once, then it worked fine for more than 3 days, and now it crashed for 3 days this is the anomly that kills me slowly sometimes its working perfectly fine for no reason (i don't change anything) and randomly just crashes i think if its pheripheral problem it would happen all the time and not 3 days not 3 days yes but maybe i'm wrong.

Now i have a new mouse, my keyboard 4-5 years old (didn't have any problem with it in the past), i use a quite old speaker don't remeber how old exactly and its a jack plug not usb, and of course a monitor with hdmi plug

Sorry for writing this much and thanks for the help :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
i had to add spaces as I kept losing track.

On my last PC, the only problems I had were caused by peripherals.
my mouse was causing my gpu drivers to stop working and turn screen off. Since the problem appeared to be the GPU it took a few months of the screen randomly turning off (it wasn't constant, it would work fine for weeks and then bam. screen would turn off and I would sigh as I often thought what I had done before had helped). It was only after taking it to a store for testing for 2 days and them not finding anything that I realised it was something I was plugging in.

the other problem was caused by speakers that had always worked fine in the past but well, they were 12 years old and were causing conflicts with windows 10. Windows was starting up with no desktop as it was waiting for the speakers to respond and they weren't. It was only after I clean installed windows in the kitchen, PC worked fine, and then moved it into room its normally in, plugged in speakers and problem was back... I was sad to replace those speakers. They showed their hand by not working in analog randomly soon after.

But I wasn't getting BSOD. It would have been easier if I was.

Status
Not open for further replies.