BSOD: Bad_Pool_Caller ?

dancebot1

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015
So I built my own desktop and have had this specific bsod happen called Bad_Pool_Caller.
I believe I fixed at least one of the problems, but just in case it happens again what do you guys suggest?
Bug Check String : BAD_POOL_CALLER
Bug Check Code : 0x000000c2

First bsod crash address was ntoskrnl.exe+74ec0, Native wifi miniport driver. I haven't seen this since.
Second bsod crash address was also ntoskrnl.exe+74ec0. Though this time it was Realtek WLAN USB NDIS Driver.
Third bsod was nvidia and I rolled back the driver just in case, only this time the crash address was different but it had the same string and code as the first two. So I think I solved the nvidia problem, but my question is if there is a bigger problem at hand? I installed the missing drivers but then this nvidia one happened with the latest update, so I did a roll back on it. Just wondering what do I do if this happens again?

I do have the bsod viewer or whatever / text files of said dumps if needed.
Each time has occurred on separate and different occasions. First one I was just surfing, second one I was playing Mortal Kombat X, and third one I was just on Chrome and iTunes...

Running Win 7 64 bit and my mobo is ASUS Z97M-Plus if that helps any..

to fix problems with a USB wireless ethernet adapter you have to do the following.
update BIOS, any 3rd party usb 3.0 chipset drivers, update the CPU chipset drivers to get usb 2.x updates.
update the actual USB 3.0 wireless adaptor driver.

Sometimes, with usb drivers you have to go into control panel, device manager and actually select the updated driver or remove the older driver from your machine in order to get the new driver to take effect.

dancebot1

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015

So a bit after the second bsod I installed intel chipset drivers off the asus mobo cd and I think that might have fixed it? I also do have the latest linksys wusb1600 driver installed or whatever. So what do you suggest if I have a Bad_pool_caller again? I just find it odd that it has happened three times regarding three different things. idk.

basically, USB bugs tend to corrupt memory of the drivers next to them in memory. Windows tries to randomize the loading of drivers to avoid malware so you tend to get different bugchecks (or none at all) depending on what gets corrupted. It is very common for the default windows provided usb wireless driver to have problems. Most likely just updating that driver will fix things if your BIOS and other USB drivers are dated 2013 or newer.

dancebot1

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015

So, I should go to the device manager and uninstall the linksys wusb adapter. realtek, or the windows ones? I'm not sure if I even see the windows wireless adapters. It is just weird to me since the realtek driver says wireless, but that driver (which I uninstalled) was for hd audio. I do believe it is something regarding the wifi drivers/adapters but I'm not sure which exactly I should install / uninstall via device manager.

I think realtek makes the chip, provides a driver to microsoft for windows but does not bother to update it, they sell the chip to a bunch of oem manufactures which rebrand the chip under different brand names like linksys or tlink.

All of them get versions of the drivers from realtek. You should install the updated realtek driver, then go to device manager and confirm the updated driver is selected as the default. You can not uninstall the driver or the windows plug and play system will detect that a driver is needed and it will reinstall it a few seconds after you uninstall. (unless you disable the plug and play system before you uninstall the driver)

dancebot1

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015

Hey so I get another Bad_Pool_Caller and it is being caused by this now Virtual WiFi Filter Driver...
I googled some stuff and ran a cmd prompt
netsh wlan stop hostednetwork
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow

Will that solve it for good? Because I am looking at the device manager and it says it is running (it says status started) so I am going absolutely bonkers trying to stop the blue screens..

put your memory dump on a server with public access and post a link.
sometimes i can lookup the proper place to get a file update if I know the failing driver name. or you can look it up here:http://www.carrona.org/dvrref.php

uninstalling usb drivers from device manager does not work well, plug and play will reinstall them a few seconds later.,
removing USB devices does not work well either, the driver is associated with the usb port and when it is unplugged it becomes hidden unless you make device manager show hidden devices.

you can start cmd.exe as an admin, then dump the device list with
driverquerry.exe
and you can use the pnputility.exe -e
to show all the installed .inf files, then remove the one that has the problem
with pnputil.exe -d INFfilename.inf

ok, if you change your debug dump type from minidump to kernel dump more debug info will be provided about your USB hardware and errors (internal error logs)

note: you might be able to download usbview utility and see if your usb hubs/devices report any errors.
maybe from here:http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html
there are a lot of versions with the same name because the windows sdk provided sample code and people made their own versions using the same name.

\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rtwlanu.sys Thu Jan 09 17:56:52 2014
this driver has a bug in it that caused NDIS.sys to free the same memory block twice.
the system caught the bug and called a bugcheck.

this is a Realtek RTLxxxxx Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
Used by different manufacturer's.

so remove \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\xusb21.sys Thu Aug 13 15:10:17 2009
this has bugs and is running on the same interface. You should update it to xusb22.sys for fixes.

turn off your nvida streaming service if you are not using it. It tends to expose bugs in various network drivers.
(not that it is nvidias fault but if you don't need the service why waste CPU time to hit bugs in your network drivers)

suspect driver:\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\NIWinCDEmu.sys Wed Sep 26 04:40:33 2012
remove or look it up to see if you really need it.

suspect driver:\SystemRoot\SysWow64\drivers\AsIO.sys Wed Aug 22 02:54:47 2012
see if you really need it or can update it.

suspect driver:\SystemRoot\SysWow64\drivers\AiCharger.sys Thu Mar 22 01:07:51 2012
tends to cause various problems with usb devices, remove or update if you can. It is used to override USB standards to charge apple devices. (I would remove it because of problems)

dancebot1

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015

The xusb21.sys is for my ps3 controller (I'm using scp3 to make my ps3 controller look like an xbox controller). So I don't delete the rtwlanu.sys file? The asio sys file I will need, and I am not sure what that NIWinCDEmu.sys is but I'll check it out. I'll remove the ai charger. It says that I have it set to kernel dump, but where do I find the kernel dump files?

the default name of a kernel dump file is memory.dmp and it is stored in c:\windows directory unless another directory was user specified.